• Railfanning the Belt line-Buffalo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by videobruce

That was the Erie route to Fort Erie (it broke away from the Lack.) that was abandoned when the Erie and Lack. merged in '60
There is a tower (now on private property) that is still there, though it was remodeled that the Erie used where there connection met the Belt Line.
CP I was a busy place..............

http://www.erie.gov/aerials/1951/photos/51_2H120.jpg

http://www.erie.gov/aerials/1951/photos/51_1H14.jpg

by SimTrains

Where exactly is this tower?

by videobruce

If you look at the first link, west of Elmwood Ave. where the old Erie paralleled the Belt Line is the location. Not really accessible. At the foot of Chandler St (off Military) there are a couple of empty lots. You MIGHT be able to see it from there. I believe it is part of a scrap yard now.
I'm not sure what the orginal purpose of it was, I ASSUME it was some Erie building, but confess I'm not sure since that was a little before my time. It doesn't really look like a conventional "tower" at all. It was right along side of their tracks so I am assuming (again) it was RR related.

Someone else chime in here?

by Howiew

Which line are you writing about? I know that there was at one time parallel Erie and DL&W lines that ran to Black Rock. When they merged, the Erie line was abandoned through North Buffalo.
I could be wrong, but didn't the line towards the Belt Line last until Conrail. That line served a factory on Hertel just east of Elmwood. There was a Milwaukee Road box car that was left there.
I was going off what was shown on that wall map.

by videobruce

This is the same as you were talking about eariler.
Erie's version of the Black Rock Branch.

by Howiew

Sorry! My error! The line that left the EL Black Rock Branch at Delaware that ran towards the Belt Line, was I correct in when it was abandoned? I'm guessing that when the Erie line was abandoned in 1960, the line from the Belt Line to Delaware was left and connected to the former DL&W line.

by videobruce

the line from the Belt Line to Delaware was left and connected to the former DL&W line.
No. It never connected to the DL&W.
I don't know the exact year, just after the '60 merger it was abandoned.
The Niagara Falls branch went under the DL&W north of Kenmore Ave. from North Main St. that used to old Erie ROW for about 1 mile before it continued north. St that time thewre were probably 2 pair of trains to and from the 'Bridge' (just a guess).

http://www.erie.gov/aerials/1951/photos/51_5H113.jpg

by Howiew

That is interesting! I knew where the Erie Niagara Falls Branch connected to the DL&W. Parts of the former Erie was used to service the Harrison plant.
I lived near the Black Rock Branch and it was busy as well as the Niagara Falls Branch. It cut right through my fire district in the Town of Tonawanda that I belonged to. Any time that we had a call for the east side of the tracks. If the first engine got stuck either on Englewood, Harrison or Sheridan(depending where the call was), they were to let Tonawanda Fire Control know and which direction the train was going so the other equipment would know. Most of the time the Police let us know so we went accordingly.
That line saw a fair amount of traffic. Plus the C&O had trackage rights on it.
But I'm interested in the line towards the Belt Line. I swear that I saw a light move on it in the early 70's. Unless it was serviced off the Belt to handle some industries that still depended on rail.