• Railfanning Northeast Corridor Question

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by nssd70

I'm going to be visiting Albany,NY in September and was thinking about checking out the Northeast Corridor and was looking for info on the best spots to see trains. Any place that has freight trffic is even better. I was thinking about New Haven,CT or Old Saybrook,CT.

Doug

by Gilbert B Norman

Here is a pertinent related topic:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48577

I know there will be chorus of disagreement on this one, but my advice is 'think twice' about any railfanning expeditions.

by Matt Johnson

I think if you use common sense, it's pretty unlikely that you'll be harassed. I have never attracted any attention using a small hand held digital camera. I can see where setting up a tripod, however, might get somebody's attention.

Personally, I've always liked Princeton Junction. It's located in a nice, safe upscale suburban area along a busy and fast section of the NEC. In addition, the NJ Transit "dinky" shuttle makes it easy to visit Princeton University and downtown Princeton. Princeton has a beautiful campus, and there are plenty of places to eat or grab a beer. Triumph Brewing Co. is a cool place that I'd recommend!

by Noel Weaver

You don't tell us just what kind of trains you are looking to see nor
whether you have the use of a car or not.
If you want to see freight trains, there is no better place in the north
east than the Albany area itself. Amsterdam is a particularly good place
for CSX activity with two tracks and lots of action.
Passenger trains with electric motors, you will need to go to NYC and do
something from there. I would suggest South Norwalk which is accessible
via Metro-North from Grand Central Terminal or Old Saybrook which is
accessible from New York via Amtrak. I do not recommend Bridgeport
because it is a dangerous city although others may not agree and I do not
recommend Stamford or New Haven because they are busy places and
you are liable to encounter hostile police officers at either location and
especially in New Haven where both Amtrak and Metro-North police
officers are located. I agree with the Princeton Junction location in New
Jersey but no locations in the NEC have really very much freight
activity.
Noel Weaver

by nssd70

I'll have a car. Looking for Acela and Providence and Worchester trains. What railroads run through Old Saybrook and where do most railfans watch from?

Doug

by Clean Cab

If you want a lot of frieght action then I'd strongly recommend Springfield (Mass) station. You can stand on the platforms and see a lot of frieght trains and a few Amtraks mixed in.

by Noel Weaver

nssd70 wrote:I'll have a car. Looking for Acela and Providence and Worchester trains. What railroads run through Old Saybrook and where do most railfans watch from?

Doug
Amtrak NEC and Providence and Worcester. The station area probably
would do if you don't do something dangerous or stupid.
New London which is east of Old Saybrook cold bring you even more
and it is a nice interesting location with ferries running to Long Island as
well as New England Central and the Providence and Worcester. The
Amtrak Station is right downtown too. No high speed running in this
location though. Both locations can be reached from the Albany area by
good roads.
Noel Weaver

by kitn1mcc

i have to stick up for BPT it is not that bad of a town. and as for Rail fanning on the Metro North the MTA Police have verry good with rail fans for the most part

New Haven.
State street station
the Fire Academy on on Ella grasso BLvd it is public lot cause ppl fish next to it and the Asphalt stops just about 5 feet from the Tracks there is usally a cop or 2 or Utility company truck hideing down there

by shadyjay

I would vote for Old Saybrook (OSB). In the morning and afternoon, you have Shore Line East trains for New Haven, sometimes powered by a "New Haven-painted" GP40(etc etc) or a leased Amtrak P40. There's a fair amount of Amtrak trains passing through as well, led by AEM7s or HHP-8s, plus the Acelas, which go through at nearly 100mph without stopping. P&W usually has two freights which meet and switch cars on the wye on weekdays as well. Plus you may see Amtrak work trains, led by grey locomotives. There are a couple high-level pltfms, one of which is in the center so you get good views from the ends down the line. In the freight station next to the platforms is Pizzaworks, a pretty good restaurant with a railroad-theme.

If you wanted to hit up New Haven, you subtract the P&W activity, but add lots and lots of Metro North trains, plus a few more Amtraks including the shuttles. There are a couple Amtraks which change motive power there as well. CSX does have a daily freight and P&W runs stone trains in the warmer months.

I've never been hassled by anyone at either station, as long as you stay out of the way of passengers on the platform (ie-no tripods, etc) and stay in public areas (of course). OSB seems to attract more railfans since its more laid back, while NHV is a beehive of activity.

by kitn1mcc

Old saybrook has alot of Railfans stop in and the station Personal are Aware of this and so are most of the C-Dot Crews know there are a alot of rail Fans go to this area and also Ride the SLE.

also take ride up to essex if you are driveing

by Noel Weaver

kitn1mcc wrote:i have to stick up for BPT it is not that bad of a town. and as for Rail fanning on the Metro North the MTA Police have verry good with rail fans for the most part

New Haven.
State street station
the Fire Academy on on Ella grasso BLvd it is public lot cause ppl fish next to it and the Asphalt stops just about 5 feet from the Tracks there is usally a cop or 2 or Utility company truck hideing down there
Bridgeport might not be bad but it is not very good. I rode the Waterbury
train down there and back a few short years ago and this was in the day
time but there were some hostile looking young people just hanging
around there. I would not want to be seen by people like that using a
decent camera or video recording outfit, why ask for a problem when it is
possible to go to a much safer and better area?
Noel Weaver

by Murjax

Noel Weaver wrote:
kitn1mcc wrote:i have to stick up for BPT it is not that bad of a town. and as for Rail fanning on the Metro North the MTA Police have verry good with rail fans for the most part

New Haven.
State street station
Bridgeport might not be bad but it is not very good. I rode the Waterbury
train down there and back a few short years ago and this was in the day
time but there were some hostile looking young people just hanging
around there. I would not want to be seen by people like that using a
decent camera or video recording outfit, why ask for a problem when it is
possible to go to a much safer and better area?
Noel Weaver
I have to agree with you about 90% here. I travel there about every two months or so and this is the stuff you see in that city. It has a large history of crime and I believe you're liable to get mugged or even shot if you go walking in the area at night. The only time I railfan there is if I happen to be traveling from there. The morning and maybe late afternoon is your best bet as you will have commuters from the surrounding towns (Trumbull, Shelton etc.). If you're going to a station just to railfan though, Bridgeport would be a really poor decision. Old Saybrook is one of the best railfan stations on the corridor IMO. The reasons have already been posted. :-D

by jonnhrr

If you are heading east from Albany, Worcester Mass is a decent railfanning location, you have the classic newly renovated station, lots of CSX traffic plus MBTA and P&W. It is an urban location but generally safe at least in the daytime. Not much Amtrak other that the Lake Shore connection.

On the way there you could stop at Palmer which has basically the same CSX traffic, no MBTA or P&W but you have Amtrak's Vermonter plus the NECR and Mass Central.

Jon

by nssd70

Thank you for all the replies so far.

Doug

by acela 2036

kitn1mcc wrote:Old saybrook has alot of Railfans stop in and the station Personal are Aware of this and so are most of the C-Dot Crews know there are a alot of rail Fans go to this area and also Ride the SLE.

also take ride up to essex if you are driving
Dont forget when your railfannning up there to stop at the pizza works! :D