• Radio channel

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jg greenwood

Anyone have the radio channel used by the MBCR? Not the frequency, the actual channel #. Thanks for any info.

by GP40MC 1116

Just wondering why you need the channel number.. Im sure every radio is different between the mobile radios in the engines to the portables the conductors carry. I know they use Motorola VHF's i believe.. simmilar to the portables my FD uses.

by Ken W2KB

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Just wondering why you need the channel number.. Im sure every radio is different between the mobile radios in the engines to the portables the conductors carry. I know they use Motorola VHF's i believe.. simmilar to the portables my FD uses.
There are designated railroad channel numbers under the FCC rules for each authorized frequency. Perhaps that is the info sought.

by jg greenwood

I'm looking for a simple answer here. I'll be in the Boston area in a few weeks for a short while. 72-72, 54-54, 61-61, etc?
  by GP40MC1118

MBCR Commuter Channels:

Northside
Boston East, Terminal & Valley TD's: 14/14
Boston West 32/32

Guilford/ST 94/70

Southside
Old Colony 92/92 including Dorchester Branch
Branchline TD: 54/54
Use Amtrak's NEC channels for Attleboro trains.
  by jg greenwood

GP40MC1118 wrote:MBCR Commuter Channels:

Northside
Boston East, Terminal & Valley TD's: 14/14
Boston West 32/32

Guilford/ST 94/70

Southside
Old Colony 92/92 including Dorchester Branch
Branchline TD: 54/54
Use Amtrak's NEC channels for Attleboro trains.
Thanks GP40.

by CSX Conductor

Just to add to GP40MC1118's post: MBCR Branch Line is on the Old Colony Channel (92-92) for the Fairmount Line (a.k.a. Dorchester Branch). Amtrak's NEC as well as the MBCR trains while on the NEC between South Station and Pvd would be on 54-54. If you are here on weekends there are some minor differences, for example there is no Branch Line dispatcher...the Old Colony dispatcher controls all MBCR lines, but uses the same respective radio channel. :wink:

by jg greenwood

CSX Conductor wrote:Just to add to GP40MC1118's post: MBCR Branch Line is on the Old Colony Channel (92-92) for the Fairmount Line (a.k.a. Dorchester Branch). Amtrak's NEC as well as the MBCR trains while on the NEC between South Station and Pvd would be on 54-54. If you are here on weekends there are some minor differences, for example there is no Branch Line dispatcher...the Old Colony dispatcher controls all MBCR lines, but uses the same respective radio channel. :wink:
Thanks again!

by CSX Conductor

You're welcome. Btw, I forgot to mention that MBCR & Amtrak trains on the Framingham/Worcester Line (former Boston & Albany Line) use CSXT's Channel #1 (46-46). :wink:

by Robert Paniagua

CSX's Framingham Line is 160.8000 while Amtrak's NEC is 160.92 from the Cabot Yard all the way thru the revenue mainline until MP 72.9 in New Haven when it switches to MTA Metro-North.

by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:CSX's Framingham Line is 160.8000 while Amtrak's NEC is 160.92 from the Cabot Yard all the way thru the revenue mainline until MP 72.9 in New Haven when it switches to MTA Metro-North.
Cabot Yard? That's the Red Line, LOL. Cabot interlocking is on the Middleboro Main and is controlled by the Amtrak Dorchester Dispatcher on the Old Colony Channel (92-92). East of Broad Interlocking is on Amtrak Road (54-54) including the Wye Connector and South Station. Also Robert, perhaps you missed it, but Mr. Greenwood was looking for the AAR #'s, not frequencies. So if travelling the NEC from Bos to NHV as you mentioned he would want: 54-54 from Bos to Mill River, then 29-29 west of Mill River on Metro-North. :wink:

by Robert Paniagua

CSX Conductor wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:CSX's Framingham Line is 160.8000 while Amtrak's NEC is 160.92 from the Cabot Yard all the way thru the revenue mainline until MP 72.9 in New Haven when it switches to MTA Metro-North.
Cabot Yard? That's the Red Line, LOL. Cabot interlocking is on the Middleboro Main and is controlled by the Amtrak Dorchester Dispatcher on the Old Colony Channel (92-92). East of Broad Interlocking is on Amtrak Road (54-54) including the Wye Connector and South Station. Also Robert, perhaps you missed it, but Mr. Greenwood was looking for the AAR #'s, not frequencies. So if travelling the NEC from Bos to NHV as you mentioned he would want: 54-54 from Bos to Mill River, then 29-29 west of Mill River on Metro-North. :wink:
Oh ok, I meant to say AAR, but I can't get an AAR display in my scanner. But now I know those AAR's you told Mr. Greenwood.

by GP40MC 1116

Robert Paniagua wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:
Oh ok, I meant to say AAR, but I can't get an AAR display in my scanner. But now I know those AAR's you told Mr. Greenwood.
I was in North Station this past Sunday doing some Railfanning and such, walked past Amtrak Downeaster NPCU 90214 and i could clearly see through the open window 14/14 on the channel. And with my experience with radios and such, looked to be a Motorola most likley. Just FYI for some people.. if you were trying to listen to these channels, im sure it can be done with a simple Radio Shack Scaner, BUT as far as if you do own a portable radio, it's not like you punch in the numbers. You need to have acess to someone with programming capabilities. And with that said, in todays world, you can just walk into a Motorola dealer and say "Hey stick these in my radio. I am not saying it can't be done, but if you could put these in your radio, nearly anyone with some good $$ could impersonate a train crew member or a dispatcher even. Just for an example, since I am into the Fire Service side of things, can you immagine if every fire buff who has a radio had say Boston or FDNY on their radios.. boy the trouble we would have. Im sure you guys knew it, but just letting you know that unless your a railroad employee, the chances of you getting acess to put those on your radiothose freq's is slim-none. Again scanner is no problem as long as you are close enough.

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah I have a scanner too. It comes from Radio Shack, which I program the frequencies. So no need for the AAR codes then.

by CSX Conductor

Speaking of Radio Shack, I remember seeing a book called "Scanner-Master" back in the early 1990's which listed all radio frequencies in the state, excluding the Mass State Police. Everything was broken down by categories, such as police, fire, towns, planes, busses, and railroads. :wink: