• R5 to Lancaster?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by braves

When the new Commuter rail between Harrisburg & Lancaster begins, will SEPTA consider extending the R5 to Lancaster to connect wth this new Commuter rail line.

by octr202

Considering that the R5 extension to Parkesburg and Coatesville several years back didn't perform too well, my guess is not for a while, if ever.

I have to wonder, too, how well that Harrisburg commuter rail service is going to work. Small cities haven't had a real good record a strong performance on commuter rail start ups.

by R3toNEC

I don't think Septa would extend as far as Lancaster. If there was a connection to another commuter rail service, it would take away Amtrak revenue to Harrisburg. And considering that Amtrak stops at Lancaster en route to Harrisburg, one could still make the connection. Additionally, the Amtrak to Harrisburg is relatively inexpensive, so I don't really see why someone would choose to take Septa to another commuter rail if Amtrak is just as cheap.

by Clearfield

If Lancaster County will subsidize the line, that's a start. SEPTA service to Delaware is paid for largely by the state of DE.

by Lucius Kwok

Amtrak's Keystone Service is pretty much a commuter line. If they want more trains, they can pay Amtrak to run more Keystone trains. I don't see the need to get SEPTA involved.

I think the electric substations might need to be upgraded before additional electric trains can run to Lancaster.

by Matthew Mitchell

Lucius Kwok wrote:Amtrak's Keystone Service is pretty much a commuter line.
It is a commuter rail line. You'll see PennDOT in the list of commuter rail agencies in FTA statistics.
If they want more trains, they can pay Amtrak to run more Keystone trains. I don't see the need to get SEPTA involved.
Management-wise, you're probably right. But SEPTA's unit costs are lower than Amtrak's, and SEPTA could run MUs and lower costs further compared to Amtrak's longer consists. Plus there's the potential benefit of integrating the Downingtown and Harrisburg services--like having a Harrisburg train protect mid-day stops at Downingtown and the other outer stations instead of running a SEPTA train out there. Might bring some scheduling efficiencies.

by drewh

What is the new commuter service that is referred to?? I know the lin eis being upgraded but wasn't aware of a new operator.

by Lucius Kwok

There's a FTA New Starts program called CorridorONE http://www.corridorone.info

by Matthew Mitchell

Lucius Kwok wrote:There's a FTA New Starts program called CorridorONE http://www.corridorone.info
And I would say right now that CorridorONE is still an "if" rather than a "when."

by drewh

I agree, more of a "when". Especially since PA can't fund current operations at Septa and has no desire to fund NJT extensions into the eastern part of the state.

by Matthew Mitchell

drewh wrote:I agree, more of a "when". Especially since PA can't fund current operations at SEPTA and has no desire to fund NJT extensions into the eastern part of the state.
Well, they can--it's just that they haven't gotten around to doing so yet. There was a good opportunity last fall for a package deal to fix transit funding while increasing highway spending, but the Legislature lacks confidence in SEPTA management, and feared that they'd just come back again for more money.

As for maintaining Philadelphia service after NJT takes over the Clockers, I've not seen any indication the state has no desire to do so, though it's not a high priority.

by greg19051

I think drewh was referring to the proposed Lackawanna Cutoff to Stroudsburg and possibly Scranton.

by drewh

Not just the proposed cut-off, but a station in Falls Township PA. NJT built their new yard there (right across from Trenton). NJT said they were willing to provide service to a new station in PA at no cost to PA since they would turn trains there anyway. Only requirement was for PA to fund the station building and do maintenance, security. Do you think PA could agree to come up with the money - NO WAY!!.