• R1 vs Economy Parking at the Airport

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by skm

Good Afternoon:

Last night there was a segment on Fox 29 on the difficulty of airport parking due to an increase in passenger traffic. Can anyone verify? I'm thinking of taking the R1 as an alternative as opposed to a limo.
  by Matthew Mitchell

skm wrote:Last night there was a segment on Fox 29 on the difficulty of airport parking due to an increase in passenger traffic. Can anyone verify? I'm thinking of taking the R1 as an alternative as opposed to a limo.
Didn't see the segment, but yes, airport parking, even in the economy lots, is tight. Last time I went by car, we ended up way down at the very end of the economy lot, where there were the usual two guys with flags standing around watching another direct traffic.

With some of the construction completed since then, I don't know if the situation has gotten any better. From the description of the TV report, I gather it hasn't. Did they say anything about the private park/fly companies down on Essington Ave. or near the Scott site? Are they approaching capacity too?

by jfrey40535

Taking the train really depends on your own circumstances. Is it easy for you to get to a train station? How much time do you have? If you're not getting on the R1 directly, you will have some wait time somewhere along the way.

Keep in mind, if you're driving to a train station, you will have to make arrangements with SEPTA to keep your car parked there for an extended period of time.

If all of that sounds like a pain, the limo might be a better choice, as its door to door. You only need to load/unload your luggage once and is probablly more direct.

by phltransit

Yes, skm, it's always busy. Finding a space in any of the short-term garages can be a nightmare, especially mid-morning, and you'll never see so many cars in one place until you get to the long term lots.

Limos save the hassle, as jfrey40535 pointed out, but are usually $$$ , as is parking for more than a few days.

If you can make a relatively easy connection to the R1 it's by far the best way to go, especially if you have only carry-on baggage. A lot of the decision depends on your individual circumstances.

Good luck.

by phltransit

Yes, skm, it's always busy. Finding a space in any of the short-term garages can be a nightmare, especially mid-morning, and you'll never see so many cars in one place until you get to the long term lots.

Limos save the hassle, as jfrey40535 pointed out, but are usually $$$ , as is parking for more than a few days.

If you can make a relatively easy connection to the R1 it's by far the best way to go, especially if you have only carry-on baggage. A lot of the decision depends on your individual circumstances.

Good luck.

by Usafcop580

Economy parking is horrible at PHL. But as others point out are you near a train line or any public transit that will get you to the airport without a hassle? Also how many bags will you have and will you be going with family? I choose a van service to the NE over SEPTA only because its cheap, relaible and because I generally fly with 2-3 suitcases (I fly up for 2 weeks at a time unless its for other business) and to ride the train with employees and not having a decent place to put the suitcases (they dont fit overhead) it becomes alot easier to use the van service.

by JeffK

Another alternative to consider is using one of the valet services that will store your car in a protected lot and transport you to and from the airport. Winner, Pacifico, Kinney etc. are some of the big ones. The cost generally runs in the $7 to $9 per day range, not including taxes. I've used a couple of them over the years with good results. Even if it's cheaper to arrange for extended parking at a SEPTA lot, who ya gonna call if someone nails your car while you're gone?

But to be redundant with what everyone else has said, a lot depends on your circumstances. When I've travelled on business and my wife can drop me and one rolling suitcase at an R5 or R6 station, of course I'll take the train - spending 7 bucks to avoid I-95 and hassles with drop-off is well worth it. But when we're all going somewhere for a week and have 2 bags each, my commitment to public transit unfortunately has to give way to practicalities.

by jfrey40535

Public transit is not practical when you're travelling in groups. A shortfall I wish they could overcome.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Overnight parking arrangements for SEPTA-owned commuter parking lots

If the lot has a slot box (as most SEPTA lots do), make a check out to SEPTA for $1.00 times the number of weekdays you will be parking (weekends and holidays are free). Put the check in an envelope, write your license number, parking space number, and dates you will be parked on the envelope,and put the envelope in the slot in the back of the box.

If the lot has a central meter (like at Ambler), pre-pay for the necessary number of days at the meter, then display the receipts on your dashboard so the inspection crew can see them and know you have paid up.

If the lot is run by the City of Philadelphia (e.g. Fox Chase), different procedures apply, and overnight parking may not be permitted.
Last edited by Matthew Mitchell on Thu May 26, 2005 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by tinmad dog

If you are coming from the Main Line, there is a big free parking lot near the Ardmore Station on the R5. Its an overflow lot for suburban square, and I've never had a problem when I leave my car there for a few days. You could probably park similarly in any large, unmetered lot near a train station.

On another note, traveling with more than a carry-on, is one of the reasons I would support high-level stations. Theres nothing quite like trying to get a big, wheeled piece of luggage up the stairs in a Silverliner, especially when 3 dozen people are trying to use the same pair of doors on a two-car set.

by Olton Hall

I have always seen the longterm lot closed because it was full. The garages are full 6 out of 7 days. Last week I think I got last spot on the roof and that was a squeeze between two SUV's.

The R1 doesnt' work for me though. Generally the connection with the R7 is too tight and which ever train I'm on first tends to be slightly late while the connecting train is always on time so I'd miss it. That means a 30 minute plus wait for the next one. It just too slow for me. NJT to Newark is great on the other hand.
  by skm

Good Afternoon:

Thanks for the replies.

I'll provide a brief update: For my early flight at 6:30AM, I successfully parked in the Economy Lot. I did arrive at the lot about 4:30. For my mid-day flight 12:30 (Fri-Mem Day Weekend) I used the R1.

On the mid-day flight, I did overhear passengers complaining about lack of space in Economy Parking.

Thanks again.
  by crusher77

My daughter lives within walking distance of the Bryn Mawr station on the R5. I leave my car there take the R5 to 30th street , transfer to R1. It works well if I only have carry on's. On my last return trip I got off the plane and 15 minutes later I was on the train. I was at my daughter's house within 45 minutes.

by drewh

Another option you can consider is CO airlines has a combined rail/air service with trains out of 30th St to EWR airport.
  by Matthew Mitchell

crusher77 wrote:My daughter lives within walking distance of the Bryn Mawr station on the R5.
Is she walking distance to the P&W?

If so, she could ride it to 69th Street, then ride the 108 to the airport. Definitely shorter--might be faster. The trip planner at www.septa.org would tell you.

Matt Mitchell
(made that connection 25 years ago when you had to change from the 108 to the U at 62nd and Woodland or somewhere around there)