• R&S Customer questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

[quote="Rick Rubino"]The peanut from caladonia to Batavia was abandoned by the penn central in favor of trackage rights over the B&O from goodman street yard. A crossover was installed west of P&L and about a train lenght of track to the west was kept as a lead. F7s with GP-9 or GP-7 Boosters were the power on the salt trains too and from Batavia and later when comming from Goodman street it was RS-36s and U-25bs. by the time conrail came around everthing was comming from goodman street. I am bad with dates but i think this is close to correct. I think Jones chemical went to G&W when the R&S took over the Chessie as the R&S could move the salt all the way to Brooks ave and goodman street themselves. hope this helps Rick[/quote]

If you abandon from Caledonia to Batavia of the Peanut line in favor of the B&O then two things can't happen. When you get to Le Roy on the B&O, you can't get the rest of the way to Batavia. You can't get to Jones Chemical in Caledonia which is on the Peanut Line.

To quote from Mike Zollitsch's book BR&P Vol I by Morning Sun, p30 (where there is a nice photo of a long CR train on the Peanut line coming in from Le Roy):

"After 1976, Conrail trains used the Chessie System mainline from Lincoln Park to P&L Junction yards and the McKinley Connection, where they regained their old trackage to serve customers in the isolated Caledonia and Le Roy areas as well as interchanging with the G&W. A Southbound B&O crew has stopped at the connection, watching as a Conrail freight arrives at P&L Junction, May 23, 1980."

The EL was torn up around 76/77. I have an old "Shortline" article describing it after the LA&L tried to get it as part of the formation of Conrail. They were denied the chance.

I'm sure Don can fill in here too as he is well versed in this area.

Charles

by Rick Rubino

The peanut from P&L jct east to jones chem was not abandoned but the peanut was abandoned and torn out west of P&L where it paralled the B&O and THE Erie. Conrail never ran trains to batavia Via the peanut. The train you are looking at CONRAIL on page 30 is backing up and prepairing to come across the crossover and head for rochester. it only had about 70 cars of track behind it. I spent many years out their and i believe Mikes caption may be wrong. the photo was dated 1980 and the peanut west was long gone. Rick

by BR&P

The salt train did not go to Leroy. They were lucky to make a round trip without outlawing as it was. At times they had to wait for B&O trains, sometimes they were held at CP35 for mainline traffic. Yard congestion also was a factor. If they had Leroy in the mix it would have been impossible.

As far as I can recall CR did switch Jones Chemical but sure can't remember any details.

by nydepot

[quote="Rick Rubino"]The peanut from P&L jct east to jones chem was not abandoned but the peanut was abandoned and torn out west of P&L where it paralled the B&O and THE Erie. Conrail never ran trains to batavia Via the peanut. The train you are looking at CONRAIL on page 30 is backing up and prepairing to come across the crossover and head for rochester. it only had about 70 cars of track behind it. I spent many years out their and i believe Mikes caption may be wrong. the photo was dated 1980 and the peanut west was long gone. Rick[/quote]

My comment was only based on your comment. You said the Peanut was abandoned to Batavia in favor of trackage rights on the B&O. The implication of that sentence is that the B&O was used to get to Batavia. That's why I said you couldn't get further than Le Roy on the B&O.

The thread is getting messy and off topic from what I initially asked about. I didn't want any extra confusion.

Charles

by nydepot

Back to my original question...

I found an announcement from 1985 about G&W buying the trackage from Conrail. It refers to a 2/20/1985 announcement by the G&W that they have finalized the sale from CR of 5.7 miles of track around P&L Junction. It would allow more car storage. G&W trains would then be traveling directly to Rochester via the B&O and then 3 miles of CR to Goodman St. Further relating to my oringal question was the trackage to Jones Chemical. The article continues that to preserve the track to Jones Chemical, the 1.25 miles of track from P&L Jct to Caledonia of the old Peanut Line was sold to Jones Chemical and would be operated by the G&W.

Charles

by chnaus

The reason the Peanut was embargoed thru Leroy
during the PC regime was the flood damage to the
midstream abutment on the bridge over Oatka creek.
Temporary repairs were made and used until the
feds heard about it . That put a rush on getting
service via B&O from Rochester.