Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by STR R-40

Does anyone know when the R-40 slant ends will be retired, and if any will be saved?
  by Allan

STR R-40 wrote:Does anyone know when the R-40 slant ends will be retired, and if any will be saved?
I don't think the date has been announced, besides delivery on the R160's haven't even started. Then, once the first sets of R160's arrive they have to be road tested for at least 6 months before the rest of the delivery can commence. We are probably looking at a couple of years before the equipment can be retired.

Will any be saved? I am sure that at least a pair or two will be kept in the Transit Museum's collection.

by FL9

I think the R160s will replace the R32s. It would only make sense because these are the oldest cars still in service. I hope not though. LONG LIVE THE BRIGHTLINERS! The R40 slants arent going anywhere anytime soon. Does anyone have a clue what the R160's look like, are they 8 door cars or 6 door?
Last edited by FL9 on Wed May 04, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by JayMan

The R160s are supposed to look almost identical to the R143s (see here), save double-leaf storm doors like the R142, from what I understand.

by PacificCommand

When the R160s come in, 150 R40, 110 R42 and 272 R44 will be retired.

by 7 Train

I think the R160s will replace the R32s. It would only make sense because these are the oldest cars still in service. I hope not though. LONG LIVE THE BRIGHTLINERS!
No. The R32 would probably be the last to go, maybe staying around until 2015 or beyond.

by FL9

Your right, the R32's were rebuilt around the late 80's to early 90's. These cars are good for the years to come, I guess age doesnt matter, as long as there in good running order. Whatever the R160's are going to replace though I hope the day doesnt come too soon. Im not in any hurry to see the older fleet of cars go, I grew up with most of them and it would be sad to see them go.

by arrow

The R32s will be around for a while because they are built so well. I'm sure we won't be saying the same thing in 10 years when the R143s are all dying. They don't build em like they used to unfortunately.

The new cars sure are nice on the inside and are a big change from the normal ones that I've been used to, however I still get excited when an R32 or R44 pulls up. That's why I like the C, E, and W trains so much.
Last edited by arrow on Tue May 03, 2005 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by BMT

The R44/46 group of cars will be replaced by the R-160s before anything else goes. Reason being is that those are the 75' cars which as most everyone already knows are a pain for NYCT since they are restricted to IND (B2) territory on the system because of their length. The R-143 (and their future counterparts, the R160) are a return to 60' cars that will clear everywhere in the B Division.

I expect the R-40 slants and modifieds along with the 42's will be phased out slowly over time sometime starting around 2011/12. The R-38's aren't in much better shape, but since they can with R-32 sets, they should be around until the demise of the R-32s.

by JayMan

BMT wrote:The R44/46 group of cars will be replaced by the R-160s before anything else goes. Reason being is that those are the 75' cars which as most everyone already knows are a pain for NYCT since they are restricted to IND (B2) territory on the system because of their length. The R-143 (and their future counterparts, the R160) are a return to 60' cars that will clear everywhere in the B Division.
R44s yes, but R46s I doubt. I've heard some much about what the R160s will replace, but I personally find it hard to believe the Slants and the R38s will be around too much long, and I doubt the R32s will be going anywhere for now.

by District D RTC

The R-40 and R-40M's are both in decrepit shape, as are the R-44's. The R-42's are a tiny tiny bit better, but these will be the first cars retired by the R-160's arrival... The R-32 and R-38's will be arround for a while still as they are in decent to good condition (pending completion of the floor replacements).

--JSW

by arrow

The R-32 and R-38's will be arround for a while still as they are in decent to good condition (pending completion of the floor replacements).
Hmm, I wonder what that tells you about the quality of things through the years. Although quality seems to be more important today than it was 30 years ago, so at least we're on a rebound.

by efin98

arrow wrote:
The R-32 and R-38's will be arround for a while still as they are in decent to good condition (pending completion of the floor replacements).
Hmm, I wonder what that tells you about the quality of things through the years. Although quality seems to be more important today than it was 30 years ago, so at least we're on a rebound.
I think it's more like "you can't beat the laws of science". The metal makeup of the R32s and R38s has held together better than the metal makeup of the R40s, R40Ms, and R42s so the R32s and R38s will last longer.

It's all semantics really, all of the 1960s and 1970s era cars are on borrowed time. No matter how well built the cars are they still have to be retired in the near future(within the decade) just due to age. Still, well over 50 years out of the R42s and just about 50 years for the R38s is worth applauding...

by arrow

You are proving my point. No matter what the difference is, things were built better back then.

by efin98

arrow wrote:You are proving my point. No matter what the difference is, things were built better back then.
I didn't prove your point. I actually provided support for my claim based on fact, you didn't. My point is based on fact, yours is based on opinion.

It's a fact that the stainless steel that they are made out of is what is keeping them alive, if they were made from the same metal as the R40s and above they would have been gone first. And considering the R38s are made by the same company that made the R40s, R40Ms, and R42s your assumption is false.