• "Re-filling" New T Farecards

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sabourinj

danib62 wrote:Speaking of litter does anyone know if the new fareboxes "eat" your CharlieTicket when it runs out of money?
I really doubt it. If the gates don't do it and they certainly have a lot more room than the fareboxes, I can't see the fareboxes doing it.

JS

by CJ

I do beleive someone posted that the fareboxes actually do eat the tickets + print out a new one if your adding value to your charlieticket etc (its on here somewhere)

by sabourinj

CJ wrote:I do beleive someone posted that the fareboxes actually do eat the tickets + print out a new one if your adding value to your charlieticket etc (its on here somewhere)
The fare vending machines do this, the question was about the fareboxes on the busses/green line. Since nobody really even knows you can add value at these I haven't heard anyone say if they print a new ticket when you reload or of they eat an empty ticket.

JS

by danib62

I know that the fareboxes print out tickets because I got one just last week when I took the silver line washington st. and paid with a token. It gave me a ticket with my 35 cents in change! Also you can't reload tickets on the fareboxes only CharlieCards.

by sabourinj

danib62 wrote:I know that the fareboxes print out tickets because I got one just last week when I took the silver line washington st. and paid with a token. It gave me a ticket with my 35 cents in change! Also you can't reload tickets on the fareboxes only CharlieCards.
Really? How did you find that one out?

JS

by danib62

In the documentation that talks about the TAP CharlieCard they have directions on how to refill your card at a farebox on a bus. You can find it here: http://www.mbta.com/projects_underway/a ... ie_101.asp. It says:
Use value stored on ID to pay fare. Press the white button on the farebox to add value, or show ID to operator and pay your fare.

by sabourinj

danib62 wrote:In the documentation that talks about the TAP CharlieCard they have directions on how to refill your card at a farebox on a bus. You can find it here: http://www.mbta.com/projects_underway/a ... ie_101.asp. It says:
Use value stored on ID to pay fare. Press the white button on the farebox to add value, or show ID to operator and pay your fare.
Just because it doesn't say add value for the CharlieTicket side doesn't mean you aren't able to though. That page is kind of obscure anyways as they posted it with the title "refresher course" when they had never publicized anything like it before.

JS

by CJ

sabourinj wrote:
CJ wrote:I do beleive someone posted that the fareboxes actually do eat the tickets + print out a new one if your adding value to your charlieticket etc (its on here somewhere)
The fare vending machines do this, the question was about the fareboxes on the busses/green line. Since nobody really even knows you can add value at these I haven't heard anyone say if they print a new ticket when you reload or of they eat an empty ticket.

JS
Gotcha! I was thinkin he was talkin about the vending machines! I still want to know, if you add value to your charliecard, on a bus, how does the system register it (at a station etc?)

by sabourinj

CJ wrote:
sabourinj wrote:

JS
Gotcha! I was thinkin he was talkin about the vending machines! I still want to know, if you add value to your charliecard, on a bus, how does the system register it (at a station etc?)
Well the cards are read/write so the value is actually written to the card. Yes, it uses an encryption key so hopefully the average person won't be able to add their own value.

The bus fareboxes can communicate wirelessly when they are at the garage (according to S&B) so I'm assuming at night it could upload a list of changes to the networked system (ie. the station faregates).

JS