Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Gilbert B Norman

While the content in this Times article is only tangentially related, I trust the revisit to LIRR's '50's vintage mascot will prove enjoyable:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/29/styl ... =url-share
  by BAR

Non third rail territory. Location?
  by MACTRAXX

GBN and BAR: Interesting choice of photograph to head this article...
This may have been a LIRR "staged" picture to illustrate the "Dashing Commuter".

The location is Hicksville pre-1962 before the construction of the elevated station looking eastward.
The modern building to the right of Dan's "Fedora" is still there. Divide Tower is in the far background.
Electrification reached Hicksville in 1969-1970 in the Mineola-Huntington Electrification project.

It is always good to see vintage pictures like this one and be able to identify the location...MACTRAXX
  by Gilbert B Norman

Thanks for identifying the location, Mr. MAC.

Such brings back to me as a kid growing up along the New Haven (Cos Cob and Riverside) and, after taking my first ride on the LI, how primitive is this for a road handling more passengers than the NH?

The "Change at Jamaica", the grade X-ings, the low level platforms; the the non air-conditioned Battleship Gray equipment that made such on the NH look like the 20th Century Limited, the "still fresh in memory" fatal train crashes - and this is the busiest passenger road in the US?
  by Pensyfan19

"My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined" I legitimately thought that the LIRR would be bringing back the Dashing Dan (and Dashing Dottie) on their rolling stock and corporate imaging. But on the other hand, I believe they still use them on their social media pages, particularly Facebook.
  by workextra

They did on their buttons the red vests were wearing in Jamaica.
They also had one showing them with a mask
  by photobug56

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:54 pm "My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined" I legitimately thought that the LIRR would be bringing back the Dashing Dan (and Dashing Dottie) on their rolling stock and corporate imaging. But on the other hand, I believe they still use them on their social media pages, particularly Facebook.
Maybe they realized that it would remind people that no matter how fast you run to make a train, the train will probably arrive late, or break down on the way, or get held due to track or signal problems. :=)
  by Gilbert B Norman

Dan and Dottie, here they come spinning out of the turn.
  by workextra

Truthfully in my opinion the characters both Dan and Dottie and the rest of the family could have been used for public out reach with their mask up to ride.

The characters could
Also be used for PSAs
About safety, no feet on the seats, and no luggage on the seats in crowded trains. And to never stow luggages and strollers in aisles.

With the right creative mind the dans and Dottie’s could re appear in different situations with different messages other than someone running to catch a train. (That may be late any how 😝)

Anyone on here with the creative ability and eye that can make an ad/pas
With the Dan and family

If you’re a commuter your self submit it directly to lirr, you may get a free monthly or Something if they use your suggested submission.
If it comes From the public they would be more inclined to considering it as it shows greater public interest thus reducing the odds of them Being blasted by that same public instituting a cool PSA program.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The most recent PSA campaign uses generic stick figures.
  by photobug56

Just remember - it's the commuter who dashes - not LIRR! :-)
  by RGlueck

Does "The Weekend Chief" wear a mask as well?
  by workextra

Bug, that’s a funny one!

And I think the chief will be canceled if he’s not canceled already.