• "Coffin Cars" and their dangers

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by l008com

But my point was that, in general, aren't most accidents head on or derailings starting at the front? And so in general isn't it always mathematically safer to sit in the back?

by Ken W2KB

l008com wrote:But my point was that, in general, aren't most accidents head on or derailings starting at the front? And so in general isn't it always mathematically safer to sit in the back?
Anecdotally it would appear so. Perhaps about 2/3 to 3/4 towards the rear would be safest.

by GP40MC 1116

In the video it looked like a F-40 had rear ended a Budd Car, possibly in Back Bay since it was in a tunnel? Anyone know where it was from?

by Robert Paniagua

That was the November 1987 crash (1 of 2 BBY), but that video could have been from either channels 4, 5, or 7.

by Robert Paniagua

Now as I pointed out in another topic "Holbrook accident", the car in forward mode was another control car. Fortunately, there were no injuries on the train. However, coffin cars could be all Amtrak Superliners, citing many derailments mostly involving Superliners, even if they are not in the lead (middle or last car).