• Question about part of cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by mattster

What are those metal appendages on either side of the ends of MBTA subway cars? They're shaped like sideways pi symbols. I've only seen them on heavy rail trains in Boston. What is their purpose? I've always assumed they were to prevent people from getting between the cars.

by sery2831

Well you pretty much guessed it. They are to prevent people from falling in between cars off the high level platforms. The commuter rail cars with automatic doors have them also.

by mattster

Thanks.

by CRail

there are more then just the automatic door cars with them, I have seen 5/600's with them too, (as well as 700's but they may have been for the old colony, didnt pay that much attention)

by McTed

What are those metal appendages on either side of the ends of MBTA subway cars? They're shaped like sideways pi symbols. I've only seen them on heavy rail trains in Boston. What is their purpose? I've always assumed they were to prevent people from getting between the cars.
The technical name is End Gate. They serve a couple of purposes, which certainly leave room for debate.

1) As you stated prevent people such as operating personnel from falling out from between the cars and prevent passages from getting in between the cars while the car is in the station platform.

2) They serve as great ladders for operating personnel to climb up on while the train is in the yard.

by Robert Paniagua

And not to mention the ladders inside the car cabs (Blue, Red and Orange Lines). Those are to be used in the event an evacuation and if they need to clear the train where there's no convenient platform, and they also can be used by Yard workers or car maintenance personell to climb up from the high level plaform to the roof of the Red, Orange or Blue Line car.

by RailBus63

I've also heard these referred to as pantograph gates.

JD