Railroad Forums 

• Question about Amtrak status update.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1352232  by abc8251

One of my applications says "We welcome your application to other positions". It was for Conductor out of Philly. Does this mean I was rejected? I've heard Philly Conductors are often internal.
 #1367196  by BShimerLB

Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for months now and I've only just created an account here. Special should out to ABC and Acela as most of the topics ive been focusing on you two have been involved in. Been trying to switch from the airline industry to the railroad industry for awhile now. I currently have 3 resumes "under review" with Amtrak for assist conductor, usher, and even an OBS position. I was initially holding out for the assist conductor gig but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

2/3 jobs have been "under review" for almost 2 months now. Is that normal or should I be concerned? Thanks in advance
 #1367678  by jkell1234

BShimerLB wrote:Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for months now and I've only just created an account here. Special should out to ABC and Acela as most of the topics ive been focusing on you two have been involved in. Been trying to switch from the airline industry to the railroad industry for awhile now. I currently have 3 resumes "under review" with Amtrak for assist conductor, usher, and even an OBS position. I was initially holding out for the assist conductor gig but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

2/3 jobs have been "under review" for almost 2 months now. Is that normal or should I be concerned? Thanks in advance
What did you do in the airline industry?

Amtrak I don't think keeps up with these statuses unless you have been selected to interview. I was invited to test for Philadelphia in April of last year and made through to the interview when I was not selected. But until I was officially invited to the interview it said under review and then it changed to we look forward to discussing this opportunity and then when I got rejected after a 3 month effort it said we welcome your app. to other positions.

But from my 1 year + of trying to get Amtrak if your not called within the first month or so of applying then your chances are dim of getting a call for that job. The process at least for conductor took me from april all the way until June so until your officially "eliminated" you won't know anything.

For example and my best guess at the process and how it works.

1. Job Is open for applying. At this time the resumes are swarming in. Recruiter told me 1028 people applied for 2 positions available. It islikely your app won't even be viewed by a person but by a computer that scans and looks for the best words in resumes.
2. Somehow the recruiter will pull say 30 of these apps and set up testing for the position.
3. Those 30 take the test and of those 30 say 20 pass they move on to the Physical capacity.
4. 20 take that and 12 move on from that to the interview phase.
5. 12 interview and 2 are selected from that. (This is the one and only time you will see more than the recruiter) although he said sometimes the hiring managers talk to you during the written exam phase.
6. recruiting department waits for the 2 lucky individuals to pass through other pre-employment stuff before finalizing solid offers. Once the 2nd person accepts the position it kicks out rejection notices to the 1026 people who didn't make it through, but until then it will say under review.
 #1369303  by BShimerLB

Honestly Jkell as much as I hate to admit it, your probably spot on about how it goes. I've worked for an airline at JFK for almost 8 years now. Front line customer service as well as an operational aspect such as rotating and dispatching aircraft. I have much more experience in with the customer service side but I love the operations side of it. Almost all my experience with the airline directly matches up with pretty much all the jobs I've been applying for. Its just a matter of getting someone that hires you convinced of that haha.
 #1370929  by stevfam

HI, Im a qualified Locomotive Engineer here in Australia, and Ive just applied for Trainee Passenger Engineer positions in Los Angeles, Chicago and Kansas City.

Currently my applications are are we are reviewing all applications.

I imagine I dont have much chance of success, but what a life change if it happened. My wife and I would love the opportunity of living and working in your wonderful country.

We travelled the US for 8 weeks, this time last year, spent alot of time on Amtrak, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal and Pacific Surfliner, and talked to many Engineers and crews.

My wife works on the Ghan and Indian Pacific here in Australia, and would love the chance to work for Amtrak as well.

Can someone let me know where the crews based in LA, Chicago and Kansas City drive to?

Thanks.
 #1370997  by DutchRailnut

check with immigration department first, Amtrak can not hire you unless you have as minimum a status as registered Alien (green card)
 #1599754  by Mariep

I applied and interviewed for obs train attendant chicago over a month ago. My app still says under review. Does this mean I am still in the running not sure how long amtrak hiring process works. Thanks so much any info would be appreciated . Trying to stay hopeful.