• Providence Line Electrification

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

GP40 6694 wrote:I don't see why Amtrak couldn't maintain the electrics. Heck, then they have no one to blame but themselves if a train breaks down and blocks up the corridor!
Why would our mechanical dept be relied on to maintain MBCR's electric motors?!? I mean seriously, they don't even maintain our own electric fleet. :(
  by GP40 6694

CSX Conductor wrote:
GP40 6694 wrote:I don't see why Amtrak couldn't maintain the electrics. Heck, then they have no one to blame but themselves if a train breaks down and blocks up the corridor!
Why would our mechanical dept be relied on to maintain MBCR's electric motors?!? I mean seriously, they don't even maintain our own electric fleet. :(
They've already got experience doing it. Subcontracting out the work would make a lot more sense if MBTA is only running a couple of lines with electric gear.
  by CSX Conductor

i understand, but what I am saying is that our mechanical dept can be a joke at times.
  by GP40 6694

CSX Conductor wrote:i understand, but what I am saying is that our mechanical dept can be a joke at times.
Can't disagree with you on the P40's, but the gear that's still used on Amtrak keeps rolling.
  by MBTA1052

Any idea why the NEC has three track of wiring from South Station to Readville??
  by BostonUrbEx

Back Bay only has 2 wired up? And I believe all 3 are wired at Ruggles but only 2 are used (unpowered 3rd?).
  by chrisf

BostonUrbEx wrote:Back Bay only has 2 wired up? And I believe all 3 are wired at Ruggles but only 2 are used (unpowered 3rd?).
Nope, only 2 tracks are wired at Ruggles. The hangers are there, but swung off to the side on the 3rd track, with no wires.
  by MBTA1052

But is the general purpose of wiring three tracks if Amtrak only needs two??
  by GP40 6694

MBTA1052 wrote:But is the general purpose of wiring three tracks if Amtrak only needs two??
My uneducated guess would be so that if one track is out for maintenance they could still pass two Amtrak trains, although that's a bit of a stretch. Ultimately, it would be easier for the dispatcher if all tracks were wired all the way, but in this case cost won out over that flexibility.
  by MBTA1052

Isn't why the NEC has three tracks??
  by sery2831

We are not discussing the corridor or Amtrak here. This forum is about the MBTA. Please keep this MBTA related or I will have to end this thread.
  by boblothrope

sery2831 wrote:We are not discussing the corridor or Amtrak here. This forum is about the MBTA. Please keep this MBTA related or I will have to end this thread.
I'm interested in hearing about Amtrak in this thread, so I'd vote to allow those posts.
  by sery2831

In case you missed it, there is an Amtrak forum with all the Amtrak info you could want. This will remain MBTA related. Thanks
  by GP40 6694

boblothrope wrote:
sery2831 wrote:We are not discussing the corridor or Amtrak here. This forum is about the MBTA. Please keep this MBTA related or I will have to end this thread.
I'm interested in hearing about Amtrak in this thread, so I'd vote to allow those posts.
Yes, and Amtrak dispatches the Providence Line, so discussion of Amtrak dispatching is highly relevant to MBTA, unless they want to run trains with no dispatcher (!!!).