• Proto 2000 USRA Heavy 2-10-2

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by captpaul

looking to possibly purchase a proto 2000 usra, heavy 2-10-2, no sound or dcc for kids to see steam train on the layout.
how are these locos as my only other steam purchase was an athearn genesis 2-8-2 mikado that crapped out practically out of the box, couldn't pull a levitated, invisible car, and got no parts or support from athearn. (no, not bitter, just hate wasting $ on garbage)

anyway, i am not expert in steam engines...so how do they run? any mechanical issues to be wary of? any radius restrictions?
Thanks!
  by steemtrayn

Protos are going cheap a Trainworld. Get 'em while you can.
  by Montrealrail

captpaul wrote:
anyway, i am not expert in steam engines...so how do they run? any mechanical issues to be wary of? any radius restrictions?
Thanks!
for the 2-8-2,it's possible in a minimum of 18" of radius,but for the 2-10-2,it's could be a minimum of 22" of radius..
I got a 2-10-2 texan steam locomotive and it's only turn on 22" minium,on a 18" raius,it derail all the time..
Notice,I have no "fake wheel" on my 2-10-2,like on some models