• Proto 1000 GP15-1 any good?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Ken S.

I've searched on Google and it appears that most discussions about it are comparing it to the Athearn one. I'm debating between buying this model or another Athearn GP40-2.
  by green_elite_cab

There is nothing wrong with it performance wise. The Athearn GP15-1 is just a billion times more detailed (and fragile). You're probably better off with the Proto 1000. Its more affordable, and more robust.
  by Ken S.

green_elite_cab wrote:There is nothing wrong with it performance wise. The Athearn GP15-1 is just a billion times more detailed (and fragile). You're probably better off with the Proto 1000. Its more affordable, and more robust.
That's what I wanted to know. Anyway, already decided to get one from MB Klein since the one I wanted was half off MSRP.