• Proposed CSX cargo facility causing friction

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Noel Weaver

I take the side of the railroad in cases like this. The railroad was at that location long before the residents were. The improvements will be good overall for Baltimore and will help to provide good jobs for the people of the area. I think the pluses will outweigh the minuses in this case.
Noel Weaver
  by ExCon90

The usual objections to a new intermodal terminal have to do with truck traffic in and out rather than rail operations themselves. From what I recall of the area it is residential, with no real arterial highways nearby, and while it can be argued that railroad activity (including floodlights and noise) could have been anticipated by people who moved into the area, it can also be argued that long lines of tractor-trailers coming out of and waiting to get into what will amount to a major truck terminal could not. (I don't know whether road access is possible without clogging streets never intended for heavy truck traffic.) On the other hand, saying that the railroad was there first is putting it mildly -- wasn't Mount Clare the first railroad station in Baltimore? I suppose the site was chosen in the first place because it was on the outskirts in the 1830's. Solomon may have to decide this one.
  by mmi16

Maybe CSX should get back into the hauling of livestock and rebuild and use the stock pens that once existed at the location to comply with the feed, water and rest provisions for hauling livestock on rail. Mooooo!