• Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge's History - Connecting New England to the Nation's Freight Network

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.

by RussNelson

Sorry, I CONfused my CONglomerates.
  by Bernard Rudberg

My book does discuss the big Pok bridge as part of the local rail system. If you want more info about the bridge, look at Carleton Mabee' s book called Bridging the Hudson. It has a lot more specifically on the bridge.

Bernie Rudberg
  by Bernard Rudberg

The last train over the bridge started grass fires out by Hopewell Junction while he big bridge was burning.

Who knows ?

Bernie Rudberg

by Engineer Spike

This all proves that Stuart Saunders is part of a NWO conspiracy.

by the missing link

like the kennedy assasination,(o.k.,apples&oranges) we will never know even after they're all dead and buried. convienient place to have a fire, dontcha think?
iv'e heard similar accounts that it was set....
nothing that can be changed now, but i donate to preserveing it for all to enjoy in the future. otherwise its just a big pile of scrap.

by Noel Weaver

Penn Central removed a lot of things on the former New Haven Railroad
as soon as they possibly could, this included: signal towers, signals, CTC
territory and line abandonments. I do not think they sabotaged the PO
Bridge, I just don't think they would be brazen enough to even try that.
I do believe the effort to keep the bridge for a walkway is a good idea as
long as I don't have to walk out there. I never had any fear when I rode
over that structure but I do not think I would want to walk out there today,
tomorrow, next week or next year either. I hope all who want to go out
on that bridge get their opportunity to do it sooner rather than later.
Noel Weaver
Last edited by Noel Weaver on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

by RussNelson

Next spring, people who go on the Maybrook line tour should get a chance to go out on the bridge.

by b&m617

More on the walkway project: Dyson foundation has given the group 1.5 million $$$ for more studies; this in addition to the $800,000 they have given already. Plan is to use a concrete deck. damaged iron from the fire needs to be replaced. plus railings, they want to put windows in the concrete deck so that you can look thru the deck to the bridge below. City of Poughkeepsie is giving cautious and non monetary support to the building and its like socialized medicine: everybody thinks its a great idea but nobody is thinking about who's gonna pay for it. And I'm surprised that no one seems to be concerned about the liabilities of the bridge.

I stand by my statement that there ain't enough money in the world to make this happen......

work safe :-D
Derail :P

by LCJ

I'd rather stand on the ground (or on a boat) below and look up. But then, that's just me.
  by gawlikfj

Instead of all these studies,How about giving some to me who can't get a job because so much Manufacturing has gone oversea's.
  by tech2187

gawlikfj wrote:Instead of all these studies,How about giving some to me who can't get a job because so much Manufacturing has gone oversea's.
If there is enough private $ going towards the bridge, its hard to argue what they do with it as private orgs can do what they want (to some degree) with the $. Having split the valley due to poor job prospects, its unclear to me how much tax money has been and may/will be invested in the bridge. So as far as tax payers go, I'm with you, that money should go elsewhere if it has been earmarked for the bridge. Sad to say that as i would really like to see the bridge do well, but not at the expense of putting money into active transit improvements, tax cuts, etc.
  by gawlikfj

I would love to see something good done with the bridge ,Maybe a walkway or a tourist line but, we need jobs here & not oversea's & maybe some money could be spent for that .
  by Bernard Rudberg

Here is your chance to be recorded in history. I went over to their studios and did about an hours worth of video on the railroads of the Hudson Valley and the big bridge. This project is in connection with the 400 year celebration of Henry Hudson sailing up the river in 1609.

Pass this info around to anybody who has stories to tell about the bridge.

Bernie Rudberg
The Hudson River Valley Institute at Marist College is conducting oral and videotape interviews on the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge and is looking for anybody involved somehow with the structure. For instance being a member of the maintenance crew , a fireman, a laborer, a train conductor, working the Maybrook yard, someone who witnessed the 1974 fire or was involved in the affairs of the bridge following the fire. The Institute is also willing to interview relatives of family members who worked on the bridge or at Maybrook Yard.

For those not in the area, interviews can be by phone or E-Mail.

For contact information
Jason Schaaf [email protected]
Paul Contarino:[email protected]
Hudson River Valley [email protected] or (845)-575-3052

or write to HRVI

The Hudson River Valley Institute
3399 North Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601