• Potential for MBTA boycott?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by trider2066

I've found out on 7 NEWS at Noon that people were planning an MBTA Boycott which might happen soon to express their anger over the fare increases. I really don't the fact that the subway fare should be raised to $1.70 (close to NYC's subway fare).

by blink55184

hmm...maybe people should wait til the fare is ACTUALLY increased!

by CJ

Though many people that complain about the fares going up also complain about unreliable rolling stock, dirty stations, etc..

Cant have it both ways!

by gus

The fare is only 1.70 if you have a Charliecard, otherwise it is 2.25 . Even stored value on a Charlieticket is 2.25, and you don't even get a transfer - that will drive the number of occasional users to zero.

by FatNoah

I'm somewhat ambivalent about the fare increase, but I'm not one of the people that it really hurts since I can absorb it pretty easily.

Right now it costs me $44/month to get to and from work on the subway. My friends in the suburbs, even the ones with 20 minute commutes up and down 495 spend over $100 just on gas, never mind wear-and-tear on the car.

My two main concerns are 1) for people for whom another $20-30/month is a lot of money and 2) that fewer people will take the T, resulting in a smaller or even negligible revenue gain.

by sabourinj

gus wrote:The fare is only 1.70 if you have a Charliecard, otherwise it is 2.25 . Even stored value on a Charlieticket is 2.25, and you don't even get a transfer - that will drive the number of occasional users to zero.
Two things to keep in mind here:

1) As mentioned on the AFC thread, the MBTA confirmed that the CharlieCards will be distributed free initially to get them in most "local regulars" hands. That way even those with low income can get one at no expense.

2) The new fare structure is PROPOSED. Changes could and probably will be made as there was the last increase.

Lastly, as I'm messing it up myself right now, if this is going to turn into complaints about the fare and not regarding the boycott, it should be directed to the fare increase thread.

JS

by sabourinj

savebowdoin wrote:Exactly. I don't want to pay more either, but in order for things to change, fares have to increase. The 'new' T management *seems* to have their heads out of their a**es, so I feel a lot better with a fare increase under the current management than I did under previous G.M. administrations.

Perhaps the proposed increase is too steep, however I believe they made it so dramatic to be able to negotiate down a bit. Grabauskas seems to know what he's doing, most of the time, so I imagine this was the objective to such a dramatic increase.

The fact that they put out a booklet for the public outlining why they need more money and what they plan on doing with it is a HUGE step in the right direction, and it makes me feel at least a little better when I shell out the extra coins for a fare.

Mike
Thank you. I'm glad someone appreciates that the new GM is doing some good things. He publically acknowledged that the PA system sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher, and they are spending $35 million to fix it systemwide. Parts of this you can already see as some trains are announced as they arrive.

We have an almost entirely brand new bus fleet. Not exactly common for a city to replace almost all of their busses with new CNG ones.

The AFC system (like it or not) is coming and does offer some great new features like stored value tickets, purchase passes at any station, and more to come.

Just to name a few. Although the MBTA's brocure about the fare increase is of course partly propoganda to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy, you have to admit that a good portion of the improvements they point out are true. Everything isn't perfect (reality check: nor will it ever be) but there are certainly more improvements than in the past.

JS
  by GP40MC 1116

trider2066 wrote:I've found out on 7 NEWS at Noon that people were planning an MBTA Boycott which might happen soon to express their anger over the fare increases. I really don't the fact that the subway fare should be raised to $1.70 (close to NYC's subway fare).
With the price of gas still, who really is going to boycott it? :wink:

by theseaandalifesaver

I'LL TAKE THE DIRTY STATIONS AND TRAINS, GIVE ME MY CHEAPER FARE!

by GP40MC 1116

theseaandalifesaver wrote:I'LL TAKE THE DIRTY STATIONS AND TRAINS, GIVE ME MY CHEAPER FARE!
Me personally as long as it dosn't go that high high were it's too expensive to take the T, then my opinion will change. Since i grew up in MA, ive alwyas loved the T, since i was at least 3 or 4, it will always be a hobby of mine, thats just becuse of how much i enjoy mass transit and railroads

by CS

FatNoah wrote:My two main concerns are 1) for people for whom another $20-30/month is a lot of money and 2) that fewer people will take the T, resulting in a smaller or even negligible revenue gain.
Yeah - I am pretty sure that's a high percentage of the riders that this will hurt.

I see it as a lose lose situation. The fares go up, ridership will drop (believe me). The leave the fares alone, then they have to cut service which will end up being a loss of ridership.

by danib62

Hey if ridership drops that means that the T is less crowded and the quality of the ride and cleanliness will go up without the T doing anything extra! :-D

by Robert Paniagua

I'll still continue to ride the T regardless of fare increase, since I also have a reduced farecard, so I'll be riding the rails, especially with the high gas prices and $30 a day parking space at my work in Boston.

by theseaandalifesaver

savebowdoin wrote:You'll take the dirty stations, but will you also take cutbacks in service frequencies, shorter trains, less safety, route eliminations, etc., etc....

A fare increase at this point is all but unavoidable. Rather than simply complaining about a fare increase, why not propose reasonable solutions to their current problems that can be resolved with a lesser increase?

Mike
ummm, yeah.

by mattster

I don't think ridership will drop too much. Are you honestly telling me that people will start driving to avoid spending an extra 45 cents per one way trip?

We still have the cheapest fare in the nation. Where I'm from it's rather expensive to take the bus... a dollar one way, no free transfers. Spend six bucks just to go to mall and then complain about ridiculous fares.

The only problem I have at this point is the combination of the subway and bus passes. I don't use the bus... I won't find a need for it if they combine the two. Hopefully this idea gets dropped.