• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SteelRail

SecaucusJunction wrote:Thanks for the location of the tie gons. Any approximation of number of cars?
I didn't make a note, but I'd guess 5 or 6. They were right under the bridge, and I didn't have a chance to see what the power was.
  by dtravisjr

I drove past Frito Lay and the siding there about an hour ago. Unless they were there earlier and moved, there are no tie gons in the vicinity and there haven't been any in weeks. There is a string of empty ex-Southern ballast/aggregate hoppers that NYSW uses to move stone from Jamesville, NY to Barrett paving in Binghamton. Perhaps these are being confused with tie gons. There is also some other assorted freight and one of the leased NS Geeps. Also, the NS gons that were previously mentioned by myself and others ended up north of Binghamton, I saw a few between Bing and Chenango Forks and I believe they ended up unloading along the Syracuse main. So far this summer there hasn't been any work done on the CNY/Tier east of Bingo, However its only July and theres still lots of time left.
  by L&HR C&S

CP-Sparrow and MP 110 - 30 MPH
MP 110 and MP 111 - 25 MPH
MP 111 and MP 116 - 30 MPH
MP 116 and CP Eddy - 25 MPH
CP Eddy and CP Deposit - 30 MPH
CP Deposit - 25 MPH
CP Deposit and CP SR - 30 MPH
CP SR and CP Coles - 25 MPH
  by SecaucusJunction

Thats actually not as bad as I thought, though it still puts them in violation of the lease agreement. What kind of work would have to be done to bring up the speeds? I'm sure it would be more than just replacing ties. The whole line could probably be brought up to speed within a few weeks given the right motivation.
  by malfunctjct

I don't know dates, but information K4 has already stated looks to be coming true in time. It might not be tomorrow, next week or next month, but things are happening. Original NS plans for the Tier (when NS first took over) are slowly coming to fruition.

It's going to take time, but the wheels are slowly turning.....
  by northjerseybuff

roger roger! NS west of BD is what we expected. NS east I recall was at 2 pairs of road freights..25K ran west for awhile.
When is the strates train leaving Middletown??
  by SecaucusJunction

The carnival goes until July 31. I was there last night... It will probably come east just before or around the time the passenger excursion goes west.

Original NS plans called for 8 intermodal (6 stacks, 2 TOFC), 2 autoracks and a pair of junk freights for a total of 12 daily over the eastern TIer. 46G, 47G and 25K were the only regulars and an occasional 24Z before they decided it wasn't worth it to maintain two routes. 25K went first and the junk freights soon followed.

The Tier was supposed to be an overflow route to keep the Lehigh and Reading Lines fluid at the split. I don't get the feeling that their new plans were for that purpose. They seem to want to run container traffic to various points in the Northeast using the Tier because it is the quickest route out of NJ for this traffic. If they also plan to use it for overflow east west traffic, that would be a bonus.
  by nysw136

Not sure if it's for the Tier or not, but the regular NYSW train south out of Syracuse had a large number of loaded Ballast cars headed to Binghamton.

Kevin M.
  by SecaucusJunction

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to the Tier or not but NS is stating that their system wide hiring frenzy has now come to an end and they will now only be hiring for attrition and more for strategic growth opportunities. So if there are plans in the near future for the line, you should probably see hiring start occurring shortly.
  by northjerseybuff

I go through stages of hope and denial with NS and the tier..reality then hits me..August 2011..no work, no crews being trained..nothing on the east end..:(
but we do have an excursion coming next fri!!
  by charlie6017

northjerseybuff wrote:I go through stages of hope and denial with NS and the tier..reality then hits me..August 2011..no work, no crews being trained..nothing on the east end..:(
That excursion will be awesome! If anyone grabs some shots of this, would you mind posting them? Had neck fusion and can't drive for 4 weeks......pretty please? :-)

Charlie
  by waldwickrailfan

charlie6017 wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:I go through stages of hope and denial with NS and the tier..reality then hits me..August 2011..no work, no crews being trained..nothing on the east end..:(
That excursion will be awesome! If anyone grabs some shots of this, would you mind posting them? Had neck fusion and can't drive for 4 weeks......pretty please? :-)

Charlie
i will attempt to chase it from bergen county to at least lackawaxen, maybe further. then the NYSW at night, if i get the chance. i will post pictures.
  by waldwickrailfan

i cant chase it friday, leaving for south jersey late morning. however i will catch a photo of it in Waldwick. i will post the photos.
  by charlie6017

waldwickrailfan wrote:i cant chase it friday, leaving for south jersey late morning. however i will catch a photo of it in Waldwick. i will post the photos.
That would be wonderful, definitely appreciate it. I will take whatever I can get! ;-)

Thanks!
Charlie