Railroad Forums 

• Track Rhodesdale to Vienna gone

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#933441  by Sand Box John

The track along MD-331 Rhodesdale Vienna Road from Rhodesdale to Indiantown Road north of Vienna has been removed. Ties and all. Not sure about the part of the line north of Rhodesdale to Herlock. Looks as it was done in the last few months. The last couple of thousand feet north of Indiantown Road looks as it was removed in the last couple of weeks. The tracks in the trees south of Indiantown Road to MD-50 and Vienna remain untouched. The section in the curve at MD-331 Rhodesdale Vienna Road and Maiden Branch Road has been reclaimed the farm adjacent to the right of way and now has corn growing on it. the rest of the right of way has the cinder ballast restored to the original grade profile.
 #933845  by RockGp40

I have no idea when the last train ran down that line, do you?

The track you speak of was pulled up all in the last two months. The lead from Hurlock is still in place as that is where the town stores its two N&W coaches for Hurlock Days, but I think the track was pulled from the first grade crossing east of there. I know that first major road (MD 392) has long since been paved over. I wonder if Amick Farms will decide to use rail service in the future.
 #933864  by Sand Box John

"RockGp40"
I have no idea when the last train ran down that line, do you?

I believe it was sometime back in the 1970s when the power plant in Vienna last burned coal. It now burns oil and is only brought on line during times of peak demand. The oil is delivered to the power plant by barge.

The track you speak of was pulled up all in the last two months. The lead from Hurlock is still in place as that is where the town stores its two N&W coaches for Hurlock Days, but I think the track was pulled from the first grade crossing east of there. I know that first major road (MD 392) has long since been paved over.

All of the grade crossings were paved over when the highways received their routine repaved sometime after the power plant was converted. The only crossing that hasn't been paved over is Indiantown Road, The Indiantown Road crossing was built in the late 1980s when road was truncated to accommodate the new US-50 crossing of the Nanticoke River, Indiantown Road is still in good enough shape to not need repaving.

I wonder if Amick Farms will decide to use rail service in the future.

The only two felicities Amick Farms acquired from Allen Family Foods in Herlock were the processing plant and the hatchery, neither are served by rail. They also acquired the feed mill in Delmar that is served by Norfolk Southern.
 #934716  by RailVet

I discovered the track had been pulled when I attended the Hurlock rail festival in October last year. By then it had already been gone for a while.
 #935025  by Sand Box John

"RailVet"

I discovered the track had been pulled when I attended the Hurlock rail festival in October last year. By then it had already been gone for a while.

I knew it had to have happened withing the last six months as there are weeds growing on the right of way along 90 percent of MD-331 Rhodesdale Vienna Road.
 #946898  by PKelly

"I believe it was sometime back in the 1970s when the power plant in Vienna last burned coal. It now burns oil and is only brought on line during times of peak demand. The oil is delivered to the power plant by barge."

I believe the power plant in Vienna has been deactivated for a number of years.

Pat in Centreville, Md