• Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by joshuahouse

Why is the run going to spend the night in Bath New York? The line to Bath dead-end's in Wayland so one would have to return to Painted Post to move on to Meadville. Over all it sounds like an amazing trip and I wish I were going to be in Bath to see it!
  by jhdeasy

joshuahouse wrote:Why is the run going to spend the night in Bath New York? The line to Bath dead-end's in Wayland so one would have to return to Painted Post to move on to Meadville. Over all it sounds like an amazing trip and I wish I were going to be in Bath to see it!
As co-owner of one of the private cars participating in this special train, I see it this way:

a. Fact: Everyone on the train is having dinner on Friday night at an old winery in Hammondsport NY.

b. Fact: Additional mileage on a friendly shortline railroad - BAH(LAL).

c. Speculation: A safe place to park an occupied special train off and away from the NS southern tier mainline.
  by JimBoylan

rwk wrote:The multi day trips would cost us (my family) about $16,000.00 for four adults. That's not cheap but then NJT, NS has to be paid, the employees on the train have to be paid, etc.
I'm not speaking for any car owner, but you might be able to get a slight quantity discount from some owner, possibly if you take 2 double bedrooms ensuite. If you had 3 passengers, you could ask if anyone has a different price for sharing a Drawing Room.
  by rhallock

I would be interested in knowing the proposed route between Youngstown and Pittsburgh. It looks like there are three possible routes, one NS and two CSX.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I'm probably going to do the Bethlehem and Scranton trip. Would they let me take luggage on? I'll only have one suitcase, and my bookbag. What would be the power for it? Thanks.
  by rhallock

I learned today, direct from Mr. Johnson, that the Pacific Ltd trip on the Erie in Aug. has been sold out for two weeks, UNLESS more cars are added between now and then. Console yourselves by thinking how much money you saved.
  by Altoid2

Not exactly true,

Mr. Johnson has sold out his spaces,but a very few spaces remain in several other cars including Dover Harbor, Mount Vernon, Kitchi Gammi Club and two in the Warrior Ridge.

So there is still a chance to go for broke!

Bennett Levin
  by NellieBly

I have no doubt the $4,000 price of the Pacific Limited is fully justified by costs. Those costs just seem to go up and up. A couple of stories will illustrate. I was on the 2002 trip that ran Harrisburg to Erie on NS and a shortline, thence to Conneaut and down B&LE and URR to Pittsburgh, back to Butler, PA and then over to Driftwood and back down the Northern Central to Harrisburg. I missed the first day and joined in Erie, and got a special price in an unsold room of, as I recall, $1,200. But then fuel was $1.25 rather than $4, insurance is higher, and railroad charges have increased. That trip did have one coach, and in it was (among others) an NS AVP, traveling at his own expense.

I have a friend who for three years arranged for "Hickory Creek" and another PV to move from NYP to WAS in advance of the Transportation Research Board annual meeting. He could sell room space for about the cost of a hotel, plus day space on the cars for the trip down and back, for a semi-reasonable price. But in 2010, Jersey Transit derailed some equipment stored with the PVs and had to re-rail it. That put them off, they quadrupled their charge to move the cars from a siding on the Raritan Line to Penn Station, and the result is no more PV trips to and from the TRB meeting. It's a shame; it was great fun.

For the record, I've got a daughter in college and $4,000 is beyond my reach. I hope everyone who goes enjoys the trip. It sounds like it will be a truly wonderful experience. I've always wanted to ride what's left of the western end of the Erie. I'll just have to wait for another opportunity.
  by Altoid2

Very good points. You also have realize that the Hickory Creek is owned by the URHS and was bought and restored using taxpayer money (TEA). The cost of capital alone would make a difference. I believe that day space at $3300 is reasonable for 4 days, two off train dinners, etc. I am sure Goldman Sachs would not find the ROI acceptable.
  by OCtrainguy

My father bought the July Railpace and I was looking at the upcoming events calendar and they had information about Steamtown's Railfest. It does indicate that there will be an excursion train from Bethlehem to Scranton as part of Railfest. Steamtown's website doesn't have anything about that yet, but they do provide the phone numbers to contact Steamtown. I would love to be able to take that ride, if it does come to fruition.
  by blockline4180

OCtrainguy wrote:My father bought the July Railpace and I was looking at the upcoming events calendar and they had information about Steamtown's Railfest. It does indicate that there will be an excursion train from Bethlehem to Scranton as part of Railfest. Steamtown's website doesn't have anything about that yet, but they do provide the phone numbers to contact Steamtown. I would love to be able to take that ride, if it does come to fruition.

It is supposed to have Amtrak/Amfleet equipment and will go via Jim Thorpe(R&N)... I thought Bennett posted on this a few weeks ago, but I can't find it.
  by OCtrainguy

I do remember some discussion about it, but the discussion didn't say everything was set, if I recall correctly. I don't recall if it was being planned for both days or only one of them.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Hey, I went onto the official page about the upcoming railfest at Steamtown, and don't see anything listed about the former PRR E8s.