Railroad Forums 

• Massanutten RR sites?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#831030  by Mr. Ed

We will be spendng a week in Massanutten, VA, and I was wondering if there are any RR sites close enough to visit during our stay? Thanks.

Later!
Mr Ed
 #831055  by VaCentralRwy

A lot of poultry feed traffic goes by on the line by Massanutten to feed mills in and around Harrisonburg. The "yard" (actually a few storage tracks) where you'd find the motive power is near a downtown section of H'burg near James Madison Univ. The locals are based here along with the power from the grain trains. All of this was the "Chesapeake Western" but it's been a long time since the T6s ruled the roost.
The NS main line runs through Elkton. The big yard is at the division point off Rt. 340 in Shenendoah. You can easily access the station/yard area from the "downtown". To the south of Elkton by a few miles is the Coors facility (no tours) along with Merck where you might find locals.

John
 #831263  by Mr. Ed

I was a sales engineer for Dunham Bush in Harrisonburg. Sad to see that plant site become dormitories and a WalMart (?). I'll check out your suggestions.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #843736  by Mr. Ed

Just got back from Massanutten. Saw some NS trains near Rt 33 and again on our way up 340 for "antiquing." Strange sighting was when I was down in Natural Brige to see a customer, (yea, mixed in some business) there were three CSX maintenance trucks parked doing some work.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #938160  by crazyweazle

I lived along the Crooked & Weedy during my high school days and have alota photos of those old T-6's before NS took over. Was friends with Jennings Berry, who retired as an engineer on the CW, who told me many tales about the line before he passed away this year.

I ended up working for CSX as well as the BBRR after years with the military railroads. The reason for the CSX trucks at Natural Bridge is because they have trackage rights to Buena Vista from the James River line.