• New Diesels for MARC & VRE

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by chucksc

davinp wrote:Here is the V55 on NS 18A in Toledo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdharding/5452054535/

I don't know why there is an X over the V next to the 55 on the door and near the bottom
Because she is Dead In Tow and not accepted by VRE yet so she is just another "box car" :)
  by samshat

If anyone is interested...V55 and V56 with a cab car will be running a test train tomorrow. Most likely down to CR tower and back.
  by Deval

VRE X57 was in Proviso (Chicago) on the UP yesterday (3/21) - had a paper "X" taped over the V. My guess is this is done while it is in transit.
  by Irishiron

Deval wrote:VRE X57 was in Proviso (Chicago) on the UP yesterday (3/21) - had a paper "X" taped over the V. My guess is this is done while it is in transit.
Also because VRE's reporting marks are VREX, and the V before the number is just a cutsie thing if I remember right. I don't know what it says on the blue cards, but every time I have ever seen paperwork or a scan on a VRE unit, it's always listed correctly (ie. VREX57) and not VRE V57.
  by Fritzchen-26

VRE put a V in front of the locomotive numbers during its time under Amtrak to keep the numbers clearly separate from Amtrak's own locomotives. So for example, if they were to call out saying that engine number 24 was the lead unit on a train, they would know that it was AMTK 24, as opposed to V24, which would be VRE's locomotive. I suppose it's probably not necessary anymore, but has stuck nonetheless, and might still be a good idea in the event they need to fill out a Form D, just to avoid any possible confusion.

Also, samshat, I'm upset I didn't check this forum a week ago to read that V55 and V56 were going to be running through here. I would have gone out if I'd expected more than the usual weekend Amtraks... I DID however catch V55 on the P325 the next Monday (21st) heading south at Crestwood:

My apologies that I had to make it black & white - the contrast here is still crap until the leaves come back. I can tell you however that V55 is looking nice and shiny! Hope she doesn't have the same setback that V52 had on the RF&P...
  by Irishiron

VREX56 should be in or have departed Conway. VREX57 arrived in Proviso tonight, and had a hold put on her for some reason.
  by Deval

VREX 57 arrived in Proviso on March 21st - sa week's worth of Dwell time in Provision will show up on somebody's yard report...
  by Irishiron

Deval wrote:VREX 57 arrived in Proviso on March 21st - sa week's worth of Dwell time in Provision will show up on somebody's yard report...
Two errors. I put down the wrong numbers, and the system was slow to update. Corrected info...

VREX57 should be in or just out of Conway.
VREX58 was on hold at Proviso, interchanged to NS at Ash Ave this morning.

Sorry about that. Post was 4am and on my way to bed. :-P
  by Irishiron

VREX57 went into a black hole.
VREX58 making her way through Ohio.
  by rst1317

Caught one of the new ones, VRE x57, outside of North Platte, Nebraska a few weeks ago. Ya, they look a little funny. But so do most things that we're not used to seeing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uqt/5586953399/
  by davinp

Nine new locomotives have been delivered to VRE with six currently in service. I anticipate that we will have 8 in service by April 15th. All VRE revenue trains (12 trains) will be equipped with a new locomotive by the end of May 2011. The remaining eight locomotives will be delivered by the end of July.

I don't know why VRE is keeping thouse 3 new locomotives out of service
  by chuchubob

Five new ones at Alexandria on Apr 13: 53, 51, 57 and 58, and 52.
  by davinp

chuchubob wrote:Five new ones at Alexandria on Apr 13: 53, 51, 57 and 58, and 52.
Thanks for the photos.
Interesting that they kept the V57 & V58 together on one train.
The V53 is currently on Fredericksburg Train 306/303 and
The V54 is currently on Fredericksburg Train 302/307.
I don't know where they put the V50, that used to be on Train 307
  by Amtrak7

What's the highest number on the order? Also, is MARC's complete yet?
  by realtype

Amtrak7 wrote:What's the highest number on the order? Also, is MARC's complete yet?
MARC received their last 2 locomotives in December.