• New Diesels for MARC & VRE

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by gp40marc69

I spotted V52 this evening at their yard while on the Penn Line heading home. So that makes 3 of the 12 they are getting so far.
Also, their Gallery cars still look brand new granted they are like 2 years old.
  by gcavert

Yeah! V52 was a welcome surprise on the tail end of 338 this evening. Nice to see her out and getting some exercise. I still have yet to spot V51 in the wild, or is it still sidelined with an issue?
  by electricron

gp40marc69 wrote:I spotted V52 this evening at their yard while on the Penn Line heading home. So that makes 3 of the 12 they are getting so far.
Also, their Gallery cars still look brand new granted they are like 2 years old.
I thought VRE was buying 20 new locomotives, not 12. ;)
  by davinp

electricron wrote:
gp40marc69 wrote:I spotted V52 this evening at their yard while on the Penn Line heading home. So that makes 3 of the 12 they are getting so far.
I thought VRE was buying 20 new locomotives, not 12. ;)
Yes, they are getting 19 or 20. By June they should have 16 and the other 4 next year is what I orginally heard.
They seem to be putting new ones in service after two weeks of testing
  by strench707

davinp wrote:19 or 20.
Yup 20 now, originally 19 with the option for another which they thankfully went for.

Davis
  by cobra30689

gcavert wrote:Yeah! V52 was a welcome surprise on the tail end of 338 this evening. Nice to see her out and getting some exercise. I still have yet to spot V51 in the wild, or is it still sidelined with an issue?
V51 is running out of Broad Run........
  by strench707

I'll be railfanning L'Enfant next Tuesday and/or Wednesday, Ill have to keep my eyes out for the new units!

Davis
  by chucksc

V50 is in Fredericksburg today...

V51 was assigned to Train #332 this morning

V52 with a Puddle Jumper (I guess to teach it how to drop dead on the road, eh?) was breaking in on Train #330 this morning.....

V53 is in transit and scheduled to be on the property this weekend..... Or so one of the big boys told me... LOL!
  by gcavert

Awesome night on the Manassas line. Surprise F40 on the end of 329, V52 shoving 338 and finally spotted V51 in the wild pulling 333. (Cobra, were you driving?)
  by DutchRailnut

driving ??? or operating locomotive.
  by chucksc

DutchRailnut wrote:driving ??? or operating locomotive.
Dutch are you having a bad hair day today?

FWIW he was just being a smart azz to Cobra. Who, IIRC has used that term himself in a similar vein....

SHeesh I'm old and grouchy (66) but you are catching up fast.....
  by strench707

In DC yesterday I was about to get on a SB VRE (1:15 IIRC) and I noticed behind my train s tubby consist waiting. I talked to the Yard Crew still in the cab and he said this train was going to be about 15 mins behind mine and is heading to Richmond VA for some "politicking" (quoted from yard crew). I rode down ahead of it and caught it on video blasting through Alexandria (which I still have to edit up which will take a while). It called out as P943-26.

Here it is sitting in Union with the V51 (the SB leader with markers on for some reason) and V52 shoving on the back:

V50 was also running just as an FYI yesterday but the train number escapes me. Please excuse the poor quality of the images I screenshoted them off of my video camera and I have pics set to a low resolution.

Didn't feel like sticking around Alexandria for its return trip (which the yard crew said was later last night) because of the nasty weather rolling in.

Davis
  by cobra30689

chucksc wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:driving ??? or operating locomotive.
Dutch are you having a bad hair day today?

FWIW he was just being a smart azz to Cobra. Who, IIRC has used that term himself in a similar vein....

SHeesh I'm old and grouchy (66) but you are catching up fast.....
LOL easy y'all.....everybody have a cookie.....I have used that term in jest :)

Oh, and I brought the guvnah's special back from Ivy City on the back of 335 tonite. V52 suffered a big boo-boo at the hands of a BIG tree on the RF&P, busted the headlite, one of the ditch lights, dented the nose and snapped the wiper arms. Better call Geico.......

On the bright side of that, 10200 hp(V24, V51 and V52) and 9 cars made for a fun go-home train :)
  by strench707

Aw that's too bad the V52 got messed up and so new! So what was the train's purpose? Was it to advocate exstension of service to Richmond because I eblieve it went to RVR?

That does sound like a fun train home!

Davis
  by chucksc

you know it doesnt surprise me that the Boo Boo happened on the Crash, Spill and eXplode (aka CSX) based on their observed performance with VRE over the last 17 years.....