• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nysw3636

SecaucusJunction wrote:Remember, NS just gave up control of the Hudson Secondary, so I would think that any trains running over that route would have to be NYSW trains.
NS did not give up control of the Hudson Secondary track, they leased it out!!
  by IRN750

Here are the new hire figures as of 2/6/11 since NS reopened the Training school in 2010 they have hired 3 for Bing.,6 for Crox. Not sure where the last 3 will go as far as NKP side or NS side,9 in Corning,7 in Bflo, 26 in Allentown these figures include those who are at school now or that have been thru school since April 2010. Not many people for. Bing. or Croxton. Maybe Allentown is getting all the work via the Lehigh Line/R&N and CP.
  by blockline4180

IRN750 wrote: Maybe Allentown is getting all the work via the Lehigh Line/R&N and CP.
Ha, don't tell that to SecaucusJunction, if that comes true and they DON'T take the tier then he is liable to have a heart attack, jump off a bridge or have a nervous breakdown!!!
  by ErieLimited2914

SecaucusJunction wrote:ErieLimited,

A few thoughts about your post and I encourage your thoughts as well...

1. It sounds like you are saying that NS is going to just give these trains to the NYSW at Binghamton. That would be NS giving up half the haulage and $$ for these trains when they could easily handle it the entire way themselves.

2. Everyone always says that NJT does not want freights on their line. Granted it might be a little more difficult for dispatchers, but no one has ever given anything concrete that shows this is true. NJT dispatchers are far better with freight than many other passenger lines including MN.

3. I would think that trackage rights fees are regulated. Remember,they only really travel on NJT tracks for a little over 20 miles. NS made the Metro North lease very favorable to them

4. Logistically, this won't work as this is going to be somewhat of a night operation on the extreme East end and NYSW has nowhere to pass east of Hudson Junction. I can't see NS wanting to back trains in and out of SJ just to pass (if that track is still there)

5. A few pages back, it was said that NS needs to make this run from PANYNJ to Buffalo in 16 hours. That is not possible on an NYSW routing

6. Extra power would be needed to haul trains over Sparta Mountain using more resources that are not necessary.

7. NYSW is no longer a railroad that can compete with the larger roads. All they can do is basically perform local service along their lines and haul whatever CSX wants them to. So it is not possible for them to go around NS and grab any business away. Both NS and CSX have to approve any decisions they make... especially since WR passed away.

Again, maybe I am way off as I don't understand all the inner decisions of the railroad. This is just how I currently see it. I'm just happy that it seems that we'll be seeing more trains in places where we haven't seen them in about a decade...
Secaucus,
I see your points of view, and they are all valid, and I agree with some of them.

NJT not wanting freight on their lines is really only griping that NJT employees and some managers make, nothing that would actually affect the operation of the current freights operating on the line.

I also don't know trackage right fees, that was just my guess.

As CSX did with their trains,I would assume NS would provide power for the train(s). Now that you mention the 16 hour trip, I doubt this would happen now. Maybe just to get it started and run the "haulage" style trains the NYSW used to run back in the day, but just to help fill the gap of NS crews.

I know many people on the "inside" of these railroads, but I don't know how they think or what they base their business decisions off of (although it would be cool if I did).
  by dtravisjr

Personally I have to agree with the others regarding the NYSW. I just dont see it happening. The northeastern RR climate was very different back in the 80's when the stacks started on the NYSW/D&H. Sure, anything can happen, but I wouldnt bet on it.. I went and looked up the Virginia Inland port online. Looks like NS serves that facility with a train 5 days a week. I assume if/when this new traffic develops, the Buffalo/Bison operation will be similar??? So maybe a train each way 5-7 days a week. Looks like you wouldnt need a ton of new hires to cover that anyways. Just some more food for thought.......

Dave
  by SecaucusJunction

Don't forget, there are also plans to institute PANYNJ trains to Ayer and Albany/Mechanicville... presumably when the new yard opens. I'm guessing service will be instituted gradually. It would make sense to qualify a few crews first and then have them train other crews as time goes on.
  by century430

When is the new Mechanicville yard due to open?

Jim Rowland
  by ErieLimited2914

Do cars still get delivered to the industries to the south of the Port Jervis yard?
  by chuxter26

When the NS turned over switching operations at Campbell Hall to the M&NJ last fall the H08 was moved to Suffern.President Container,RSR and 84 Lumber(sporadically) in Middletown are all serviced by the 08-as well as PROBuild Lumber and the M&NJ interchange on the Crawford Ind.
  by K4Pacific

NS is hiring in Buffalo, Corning, and Binghamton again. MMMMMnnnnn.
  by SecaucusJunction

Is that good for East of Binghamton?
  by Steve F45

how many are they hiring? are they hiring again b/c the original new hires didn't pass the redi center or is this for more?
  by K4Pacific

This hiring is another new crop. Being done in stages. I promise I will have a report shortly from the union on all of this.
  by SecaucusJunction

So perhaps the crews for the East end might come out of Binghamton, rather than Croxton? If you think about it, it would make more sense.

Is there any indication that new crews will be trained for east of Binghamton operations?