• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lhrfan

As per a thread on the Susquehanna forum, they are going back into revenue service.
  by sd80mac

Great... Now its gonna be nice to see them running to Syracuse again.

Are they gonna put the NYSW logo back on nose again?? LOL! If I remember right, I saw in photos that logo was not on nose while it was running as lease..
  by SecaucusJunction

You know, with that derailment in Rockville yesterday, the Eastern Tier could have made the perfect detour route for the high priority stuff out of NJ... but alas, it's not currently in any shape to do so....
  by century430

My guess is the lack of qualified crews moreso than not being in shape. Remember, NYSW pumped a lot of money into Bingo east this summer. We are all still waiting for the results of that December meeting that K4Pacific has to tell us about.

JJR
  by northjerseybuff

maybe K4 will give us a holiday report?..we are all in suspense
  by K4Pacific

Easy does it. I'll have it for you, mark my word.
  by conrailsharedassets

Hi Everyone,

I would like to thank K4Pacific for going through the trouble of even gathering a report for all of us to hear in the first place! He is doing everyone a HUGE favor by doing so... I would imagine this meeting probably had to do with ALOT more than just the tier and I'm sure some information cannot be released just yet. It shall be interesting to hear what happened in the meeting of the minds! I'm sure it will have HUGE implications on Northeast Railroading, if some of the leaks that have come out are at all true.

Jim Cerulli
cprsunburysub yahoo group Moderator
  by K4Pacific

I just emailed Tom Washbon NS P&D to see what's good to let loose. I do know (out of East end sequence) that 30 nat gas rigs plus support material will be shipped by rail in January. And the gas companies are planning logistics right now for NYS.

The inland port information will come your way as soon as I can.
  by charlie6017

conrailsharedassets wrote:Hi Everyone,

I would like to thank K4Pacific for going through the trouble of even gathering a report for all of us to hear in the first place! He is doing everyone a HUGE favor by doing so... I would imagine this meeting probably had to do with ALOT more than just the tier and I'm sure some information cannot be released just yet. It shall be interesting to hear what happened in the meeting of the minds! I'm sure it will have HUGE implications on Northeast Railroading, if some of the leaks that have come out are at all true.

Jim Cerulli
cprsunburysub yahoo group Moderator
And I'll second that........a big Thank You!

While I'm at it, here's a wish to all for a safe, healthy and prosperous 2011. As well as a wish for prosperity for the entire Southern Tier Line!

Charlie
  by northjerseybuff

we appreciate it!! we just are impatient..haha..we want the trains on the line! we are a few days from 2011..hopefully the east end will see something in 11'
  by SecaucusJunction

Yeah its probably been about a decade since any regular intermodals went over the eastern line. Does anyone remember when NS pulled the last intermodal off the line?
  by charlie6017

I think you're right, it's probably been at least 9 or 10 years....

Charlie
  by dtravisjr

I do. It was 25K. I think the last one ran sometime in Oct-Nov of 2000. I remember watching those, I used to be up early in the am and could catch 25K first and then the NYSW/CSX Q271 not far behind. For awhile after the CR split, they ran an eastbound 24Z as well. All that remained after that was 46/47G and they were pulled sometime in 2001. That service was downgraded into a bunch of locals that relayed freight from NJ to Buffalo and used a smattering of different symbols. There was an H2A, 971, 42A/43A etc...Eventually, all NS thru traffic was off the east end of the Tier by late 2002 and only the NYSW traffic remained. This was about the same time they were rerouting the traffic off the Buffalo line and onto the western half of the Tier. I definetley enjoy reading the posts from K4 and others in the know as I'm sandwiched between the Delaware Division and the Sunbury Sub east ( technically south) of bingo and as a railfan, would love to see more traffic on both routes. But knowing how things sometimes go in the rail industry and economy, I'll believe it when I see it. Here's hoping for a great 2011 for all!

Dave
  by century430

So the natural gas rigs are going via the east end of the Tier or did I misunderstand?

JJR
  by nysw3636

dtravisjr wrote:I do. It was 25K. I think the last one ran sometime in Oct-Nov of 2000. I remember watching those, I used to be up early in the am and could catch 25K first and then the NYSW/CSX Q271 not far behind. For awhile after the CR split, they ran an eastbound 24Z as well. All that remained after that was 46/47G and they were pulled sometime in 2001. That service was downgraded into a bunch of locals that relayed freight from NJ to Buffalo and used a smattering of different symbols. There was an H2A, 971, 42A/43A etc...Eventually, all NS thru traffic was off the east end of the Tier by late 2002 and only the NYSW traffic remained. This was about the same time they were rerouting the traffic off the Buffalo line and onto the western half of the Tier. I definetley enjoy reading the posts from K4 and others in the know as I'm sandwiched between the Delaware Division and the Sunbury Sub east ( technically south) of bingo and as a railfan, would love to see more traffic on both routes. But knowing how things sometimes go in the rail industry and economy, I'll believe it when I see it. Here's hoping for a great 2011 for all!

Dave
Last 25k was 10-26-2000 (officially)

Last NS regular East of Binghamton was early February 2003 (46G/47G/H2A)