• Worst case of schedule padding?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by the sarge

buddah wrote:Its been a while since I've been on so bare with me.. this seemed like a interesting topic, so here's my entry, going to Canada...
The retired International... Arrived Port Huron 4:50 pm, departs Sarnia ON 7:25 pm
(note: Throw in customs however that usually wrapped up in 30 mins or less).
Entire miles traveled 3, time: 2hrs 35 mins. hows that for padding..LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8453967@N08/4093346564/

Similar padding can be found on the Maple leaf between Niagara falls NY and ON, but that's only 1hr 15 mins for 2 miles.
I think it has to do with time zones and daylight savings time, which I believe, Canada does not observe. Kind of like when traveling between Nevada/Arizona. I think it is during the winter, you do not have to re-set your watch when crossing into AZ because they do not observe DST, but in the summer, you do (I might be backwards). I think one of the Michigan trains suffers from a "local" time zone change as the trips back and forth are tremendously different in time. Also, I believe the time that the Maple Leaf does the Niagara Falls thing between the two countries is different by an hour, depending on what direction you travel.

I am currently typing this on my phone and do not want to research/confirm what I wrote, but when I get home, I'll try to look-up, update, and correct if needed; that is if my kids let me!
  by NS VIA FAN

the sarge wrote:
buddah wrote:......
Similar padding can be found on the Maple leaf between Niagara falls NY and ON, but that's only 1hr 15 mins for 2 miles.
I think it has to do with time zones and daylight savings time, which I believe, Canada does not observe.......
Same time in Canada........we observe “Daylight” time too.

When it’s Eastern Daylight Time in Niagara Falls NY……it’s Eastern Daylight Time in Niagara Falls ON.
  by Penn Central

I rode on the Southwest Chief from LAX to ABQ last year and we arrived in ABQ at 11:30am. Scheduled arrival was at 12:22. I had planned on having lunch before detraining but when we arrived early, one car attendant told me that I couldn't get a meal. I went to the dining car and got a burger before getting off the train well in advance of the 12:45 departure time.
  by Stephen B. Carey

My case of padding was with the California Zephyr which is timed for about 45 minutes for the ten or so miles between Roseville and Sacramento. It was that padding that got us in to Emeryville close to on time instead of the 30 minutes late we were when arriving Roseville. This was 9 years ago so things may have changed and my details might be slightly off.
  by AMTK1007

the sarge wrote:
buddah wrote:Its been a while since I've been on so bare with me.. this seemed like a interesting topic, so here's my entry, going to Canada...
The retired International... Arrived Port Huron 4:50 pm, departs Sarnia ON 7:25 pm
(note: Throw in customs however that usually wrapped up in 30 mins or less).
Entire miles traveled 3, time: 2hrs 35 mins. hows that for padding..LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8453967@N08/4093346564/

I think it has to do with time zones and daylight savings time, which I believe, Canada does not observe. Kind of like when traveling between Nevada/Arizona. I think it is during the winter, you do not have to re-set your watch when crossing into AZ because they do not observe DST, but in the summer, you do (I might be backwards). I think one of the Michigan trains suffers from a "local" time zone change as the trips back and forth are tremendously different in time. Also, I believe the time that the Maple Leaf does the Niagara Falls thing between the two countries is different by an hour, depending on what direction you travel.

I am currently typing this on my phone and do not want to research/confirm what I wrote, but when I get home, I'll try to look-up, update, and correct if needed; that is if my kids let me!
the Pading at Port Huron / Sarnia was due to customs not time zones.. Port Hruon / sarnia were notorious before 9/11.. after 9/11 it got horendous