Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Robert Paniagua

Glad you all had a niiiice time on board those antiquated coaches. Unfortunately, I never got to ride on one of these, but I understand ST214 a fellow Bostonian did. I'll have to check out the "up close and personal" photos you all took of these ACMUs.

Now, what's next? Seashore Trolley Museum? :-)
  by Mike Roque

This *was* an excellent trip. I took a bunch of photos as well.

Psst...there may be a RAILROAD.NET article in the works by yours truly...

by Otto Vondrak

An article by webmaster? I'll believe it when I see it! ;-)

-Otto In the Journal News-

by n2qmt

My son (4 years old) and I had a GREAT time on this trip. We sat near the head end of 1120. I agree with everyone else in that MN Group Travel did an awesome job putting this together. My son was taking his own pictures and I can't wait for him to see his photos. He shot 2 rolls of film too! He didn't fall far from the tree there. :-D On the Hudson Line, near Spuyten Duyvil, you can look south and see the George Washington Bridge. So I pointed this out to him going Northbound and tested him going Southbound. He remembered the name of the bridge and then told me that George Washington is on the quarter and dollar bill. :-D He recognizes M7, M2, and ACMU cars too!

John

by ST214

I thought they rode as well as our Bombardier cars up here, but then again, our track is kinda rough. At least they didn't bounce you out of your seat in a braking application.

by Otto Vondrak

Here was the story that appeared in the Journal News:

Saying goodbye to a familiar commute
By CAREN HALBFINGER

THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: December 8, 2004)

Three hundred passengers, from their 20s to their 80s, briskly walked off one of Metro-North Railroad's oldest trains Sunday morning and race-walked through the underpass at the Bronxville station to Track 1. There they lined up like paparazzi along the platform, readying their cameras to shoot not a pretty young thing, but an old, grey workhorse — the ACMU 1100. They chatted together amiably while waiting for the train to double back on a different track. Suddenly, one of the railroad's newest trains — a shiny silver M7 — rolled into the station. Gasps of pleasure burst out like gunshots from the crowd as these rail buffs snapped frame after frame.

Then, as the ACMU 1100 finally moved south along the new third track, some men barked at each other to step back and called each other names. Some shutterbugs in the phalanx along the track's edge were blocking the views of others as they all jockeyed to get perfect, people-free shots of the moving train.

To be fair, each of these railroad fans had paid $50 for the opportunity to ride on and photograph the train in different and unique settings. The all-day farewell tour organized by Metro-North took the ACMU 1100 on the New Haven Line for the first time, then up and down both the Harlem and Hudson lines.

The rest of the story can be read here:
http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/ ... laces.html
  by Noel Weaver

This is maybe a question that only "Dutch" will be able to answer.
After the trip arrived back to Grand Central Terminal, what was done with
the equipment?
Where was it taken to? How did it get there; revenue train, deadhead
equipment or towed?
Thanks
Noel Weaver

by Nasadowsk

I heard, but can't confirm, that it deadheaded to North White Plains, under it's own power, and will be stored for 'emergency' use this winter.

by DutchRailnut

It went to NWP as Dead head and ran in service next day and will be for a while :-) despite being officialy retired for emergency use.
The word emergency has such nice wide uses :-)

by Terrapin Station

DutchRailnut wrote:It went to NWP as Dead head and ran in service next day and will be for a while :-) despite being officialy retired for emergency use.
The word emergency has such nice wide uses :-)
Note that the trip was billed as a "farewell tour," not a "final run".

by Nasadowsk

Hey, I was on the last farewell tour a few years back, too...

etc

by Noel Weaver

"Dutch", thanks for that interesting reply. Seems there is more history
after history.
Noel Weaver
  by Penn Central

Noel Weaver wrote:"Dutch", thanks for that interesting reply. Seems there is more history after history.
The ACMUs have been running nearly every day. They had three trains sets running one day last week. The bottom line is that the cars have all been sold for scrap, so they will all be gone by 2006.

I was on the head end of the excursion leaving GCT. I'm glad everyone had a good time. M-N is open to suggestions for the next trip. Any ideas??

by njtmnrrbuff

I wouldn't mind MN running an excursion up to Pittsfield via the Houstatonic main and the Hudson Line assuming that there is a direct connection from the beacon line to the houstatonic line. It might be impossible to run via the Danbury because there is no direct connection from MN.

by DutchRailnut

The Beacon line is connected to the HRRC Maybrook line and the Maybrook line can be accessed at Danbury and at Derby Ct.
An excursion over Housatonic and Hudson line would mean crews will outlaw, plus 3 crews are needed. A Metro North Crew a Housatonic Pilot crew and Amtrak Pilot crew.
and maybe even a second Metro North crew if the trip exceeds 12 hours.
The cost would be prohibitive for something like that.