• NJT F40PH Discussion

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Guest

Has anyone seen any of the "new" ex-Amtrak lessors in serice yet? Have they made it down to A.C?

by nick11a

Not quite yet. Rumor had it in ye olde RR.NET forum that one unit was spotted near Hamilton heading for Philly. It should only be a matter of time.

by nick11a

An update:

Today I took a the 3:26 train from Little Silver to Hoboken. Rode by the MMC. #400 was facing outbound and was coupled to a C4 cab and another car (it was either a 2M or a 4- can't recall) and had 4301 at the other end facing towards Hoboken/NY (I think it was 4301- it was definitely a GP40 4300 series work diesel though). This consist was sitting right around Hudson.

I also saw #294, #302 and #311 all at the MMC area. So, most of them are still there (and more may have been there out of my sight.)

by Jtgshu

Saw one of the F40's, I think it was the 400, but im not positive, it was dark when I passed, at Midway yard at Midway interlocking. Couldn't tell if it was running or not at the time, but there were no lights on it or anything.

by nick11a

That makes sense. It was in a position on Friday at Hudson as if it was going to be moving out soon. Did it still have the other two cars attached to it and 4301?

by Jtgshu

no, it was all by itself facing west......
  by njt4172

I was told that the 302 didn't suffer any engine damage....It was only an oil leakage from the smoke coming off the roof that caused the burn marks...
  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:I was told that the 302 didn't suffer any engine damage....It was only an oil leakage from the smoke coming off the roof that caused the burn marks...
Well that is good. It sure did leave a mark!! Hopefully they fix this and spruce the engine up.
  by gravelyfan

Heard through the grapevine that Railworld/Ex Amtrak F40 400 was on the PVL this morning - can anyone confirm?

Also Metro North 4194 (also ex Amtrak F40) is now in service.

by transit383

If 400 ran on the PVL, does that mean that these units are SES equipped?
  by nick11a

gravelyfan wrote:Heard through the grapevine that Railworld/Ex Amtrak F40 400 was on the PVL this morning - can anyone confirm?

Also Metro North 4194 (also ex Amtrak F40) is now in service.
Really? Interesting. I hope it is true! 400 has been seen a lot lately all around (presumably for testing) within the last few weeks. Its been spotted near Midway (by Jtgshu), near Hamilton (by ryanov I think), I saw it at Hudson with 4300 and a C4 cab and C2M.

by Jtgshu

I didn't get a chance to look today, but yesterday the 400 was still sitting at Midway....and it didn't look like it was running yesterday.

Oh yea, the 400 also has a blowing oil all over itself problem, but not nearly as bad as the other unit, whos number escapes me right now....

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote: Oh yea, the 400 also has a blowing oil all over itself problem, but not nearly as bad as the other unit, whos number escapes me right now....
302. It looks real bad. You can sometimes catch a glimpse of it by the MMC and can spot it instantly because it looks like a bomb hit it. Such a shame to see such a fresh coat of paint messed up like that.

by transit383

One would think these units would be tested prior to being leased to another railroad. Is NJT doing something wrong as far as maintaining the units or are they just faulty?

by Jtgshu

They are twenty plus years old with lots of mileage....

Remember they weren't rebuilt before coming to NJT. They have been modified slightly, I was told because of the brake systems are slightly different in our cars than the Amtrak cars they previously pulled, but they have not been rebuilt, as the MN units were. They were probably the best units of those that were inspected by NJT forces.

I think they should be bought outright, and rebuilt into F40PH-2CAT's, and join the rest of the former screamers