• NJT F40PH Discussion

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nick11a

transit383 wrote:The C5s may be on every line, but I don't believe that the C2Ms have hit the ACL yet.

As far as the new F40's not being able to run in SES territory, that immediately bans them from the Pascack Valley Line. That may be a setback for those hoping to see these locomotives run on the Hoboken Division.
Well, I hope if not Hoboken then at least Newark. But, if the rumors abouth these units going to the ACL are true, I'll have to do a little 3 hour rail excursion then to catch these engines.

by Lakini419

Nick,

If you ever come down to check out the AC Line let me know, I live right by the Atco station. It would be cool to meet a fellow railfan. :D

I can't wait until next Friday when I ride down to Atlantic City for a concert at Trump Marina. I might be riding in a C5 (for the first time) being pushed by one of the these "new" F40's. That plus seeing my favorite band would be about as good as it gets!

by nick11a

Lakini721 wrote:Nick,

If you ever come down to check out the AC Line let me know, I live right by the Atco station. It would be cool to meet a fellow railfan. :D

I can't wait until next Friday when I ride down to Atlantic City for a concert at Trump Marina. I might be riding in a C5 (for the first time) being pushed by one of the these "new" F40's. That plus seeing my favorite band would be about as good as it gets!
Sure, but don't roll out the red carpet just yet. The Atlantic City Line is a bit aways for me. I may want to get down there this summer though when I am on break from college. Yeah, I enjoy meeting other railfans too. They don't make fun of you like for liking trains like certain members of my family do.... :D

Edit: Enjoy the Comet Vs (if you catch them this Friday). I do. Some people don't though. They do have their problems like the damn PAs and all but on the whole they are good especially when in solid sets. And I think they also have great horns.

by njt4172

Nick & Lakini721,

My friend and I will be heading down to Atlantic City this Sunday for the transportation convention. I plan on driving to MetroPark then taking the Train to Trenton. Upon arriving in Trenton we will ride the SNJLRT line to Camden and then take Patco to Lindenwold where will take the AC train in! I hope to get the 270, but even if we don't we might see it in the terminal. If you guys are free this Sunday maybe we can meet up. If not, then maybe some other time!

Steve

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:Nick & Lakini721,

My friend and I will be heading down to Atlantic City this Sunday for the transportation convention. I plan on driving to MetroPark then taking the Train to Trenton. Upon arriving in Trenton we will ride the SNJLRT line to Camden and then take Patco to Lindenwold where will take the AC train in! I hope to get the 270, but even if we don't we might see it in the terminal. If you guys are free this Sunday maybe we can meet up. If not, then maybe some other time!

Steve
I'd really like to go, but my aunt is a carmelite nun and I am gonna see her Sunday. We don't get to see her much. Otherwise, I'd be going. Well, some other time I guess. Too bad, it is going to be a great day on Sunday too.

by Lakini419

njt4172,

I forgot to mention that I also saw an ALP-46 (4612) parked on track one last night. I wonder if all of this has anything to do with the transportation convention on Sunday. I can see the F40's and the C5's being down here to operate but and ALP-46 has to be here for a different reason since it wouldn't be able to run on a diesel line. Unfortunately I have to work tommorrow, otherwise I would have met up with you, hopefully some other time. Let me know what you see on your trip and enjoy!!

by TR-00

Calm down, friends. All of the unusual sightings in AC are for the convention. It's just NJT dusting off the furniture and vacuuming the carpet to try and put on an impressive show. The day after the convention is finished, all of the goodies will vanish like last month's snow flakes.

Thankfully, the flower buffs in the floral forums haven't noticed the rented plants in the terminal. Imagine the excited posts of chrysen...crysanth...crhans...mums in the waiting room!

Relax, people, and don't slip in the dripping foam.

by Lakini419

Damn, I knew it was too good to be true! :(

by Sirsonic

Considering the convention down in AC then, I would suspect that they have been placed on the roster so as to prevent problems. I do not think they are actually in revenue service yet. This also explains the rather odd train that departed the club Thursday with a mixed bag of equipment to say the least (2 F40's, some CV's, a private car, an ALP or two, and another diesel).

The probelms that they could encounter would be an engineer like me not moving the train until I had some paperwork for the equipment that is not on our roster. Otherwise, I do not know its maximum speed, and any restrictions attached to it. NJT seems to forget this from time to time, as they waited about a month after they were in serivce to put the 4193 and 94 on the roster. Too bad I never got it on my train, I would have loved to make that call.

by DutchRailnut

Metro North covered themselfs by adding this rule to Time Table:
"Foreign Line units will operate at speed of corresponding class while on Metro North".
So I have no problem operating a MP15 or P42 or B36-7 for that matter.
so if a leased Amtrak F40 showed up on MNCR we just go by speeds listed in Amtrak colum even if engine belongs to railworld.

by njt4172

Sirsonic,

Any update on these units?? Any of them in revenue passenger service yet???

thanks in advance,
Steve

by Sirsonic

The other day it looked like they were all together in the Club. Not coupled, just in the same area.

by transit383

IIRC, it was stated that NJT was looking to keep a few GP40FH-2s around after their removal from active service. They were to be kept on hand as protect engines. Could it be that NJT leased these ex-Amtrak F40's only for protect service and not for regular revenue service?

by njt4172

Got this info from a friend.....

"I got an email from a friend of mine with a photo, of the 270 in Bay Head
yard. Looks like the Amtrak F40's are in service now..and not all on the AC Line"

KS
  by OCtrainguy

There is a train, cab car first, sitting in Bay Head Yard now with a F40 as power. Due to the cloudy conditions as well as the fact the the train was parked further back on the yard track (beyond the tanker cars) I could not tell a number. I'd love to see some of the ex-Amtrak units down here on the NJCL. Maybe I can alter my lunch schedule one day, so I can see thain 4335 come into Pt. Beach or Bay Head with one of them included.