Railroad Forums 

• Dual Mode Freight Engines.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #593384  by RPM2Night

They had a lot of issues changing over back and forth between diesel and electric mode? Did they come to a hault in 3rd rail gaps, or did they coast through? The BEAUTY of the DM30s is that when they lose power, somehow the dynamic brakes kick in, increasing the 3rd rail gap issue.
 #594171  by badneighbor

It seems the best option here is still the same... rebuild the power that's here, since new engines would have to include the LIRR version of speed control, which if I remember reading in the past, is unique. How have the Geeps that were rebuilt by P&W a few years ago holding up?
 #594176  by jayrmli

How have the Geeps that were rebuilt by P&W a few years ago holding up?
The Geeps were never really "rebuilt" by P&W. Only two I believe went there and the only thing that was rebuilt was the trucks/wheelsets. Nothing internal in the engines was rebuilt.

Jay
 #627022  by keyboardkat

During WW I, Pennsy moved heavy coal trains through NYP using DD1 side-rod third-rail electric locomotives. I never heard that it didn't work, or that the system didn't provide enough power. In those days the Pennsy generated its own third-rail juice from the recently demolished coal-fired power plant in Long Island City.

Doubt it would work today, though, simply because of the increased train traffic in and out of NYP, what with LIRR, Amtrak (including NY State service) and NY Transit all squeezing their trains into a station without sufficient capacity.