Railroad Forums 

• Extreme Trains show on History Channel... Featuring NYAR?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #598814  by emfinite

Was just watching the History Channel when I came across a commercial for Extreme Trains, a new series starting on Tuesday, November 11. The opening clip in the commercial is the host hanging out of an NYAR locomotive. I'm anxious to see the show. Anyone else know more about where they filmed on NYAR or what the show entails?

Joe
 #598863  by jayrmli

The History Channel promotes the show as the following:

Train conductor Matt Bown lends his expertise to this series that profiles the history of the longest, strongest, highest, fastest, and just plain coolest trains on the planet!

What, prey tell, could the longest, strongest, highest, fastest and coolest at NYAR? And what could it have to do with history? I bet this show has 5 or 6 episodes already filmed. After that, it's cancelled.

Jay
 #599153  by wasKFC

jayrmli wrote:The History Channel promotes the show as the following:

Train conductor Matt Bown lends his expertise to this series that profiles the history of the longest, strongest, highest, fastest, and just plain coolest trains on the planet!

What, prey tell, could the longest, strongest, highest, fastest and coolest at NYAR? And what could it have to do with history? I bet this show has 5 or 6 episodes already filmed. After that, it's cancelled.

Jay
Longest time to move the least cars (mountain man). Makes for a very boring program--- 12 hours of near-inactivity.
 #601084  by RPM2Night

Did anyone see the show lastnight? It was pretty good I thought. They showed the coal train making it's way from western Pennsilvania across the mountains, through Horse Shoe curve, and down the other side. I was kinda hoping they would have shown more of the conductor performing conductor duties (coupling and uncoupling, hanging hoses, riding the point of a shove, throwing switches etc) but it was still pretty cool. The website has a listing up of 6 or so episodes that are scheduled to be shown every week, Tuesday at 10. In 2 weeks the episode will be partly about the history of NY Penn Station (I'd assume both past and present), so that should be pretty interesting.
 #601147  by jayrmli

I saw it as well. This episode I liked, as it featured one of my favorite railfan locations - Altoona and the surrounding area. The host of the show comes off as too much of a foamer, and I'm in agreement that there was too much of the coal mining/loading and not enough of what the show advertises - trains.

I'm sure the Penn Station show will be a lot of recycled footage from their old show - Trains Unlimited, which had a whole episode on it.

Jay
 #604975  by jayrmli

Was just watching the History Channel when I came across a commercial for Extreme Trains, a new series starting on Tuesday, November 11. The opening clip in the commercial is the host hanging out of an NYAR locomotive. I'm anxious to see the show. Anyone else know more about where they filmed on NYAR or what the show entails?
I should have figured this out earlier, but one of the NYAR employees is married to someone who does freelance work for A&E. That's why the promos were filmed at NYAR. So, nothing "extreme" enough about NYAR to film more than a commercial.

Jay
 #607488  by RPM2Night

I know they have to make it exciting for the general public, but I personally found it a little annoying that everytime they show a train moving, especially the freight trains, they speed up the film, giving a false sense of the train's speed and accelleration.
 #613916  by One of One-Sixty

jayrmli wrote: I should have figured this out earlier, but one of the NYAR employees is married to someone who does freelance work for A&E. That's why the promos were filmed at NYAR. So, nothing "extreme" enough about NYAR to film more than a commercial.

Jay
That sucks as I was hoping to see some local action, although I enjoy the show was really hoping for some local flavor.