Railroad Forums 

• NYAR schedules and fall foliage

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #461685  by phoenix

That pretty much sums it up. I am hoping to catch some former LIRR engines in action this fall with the leaves changing right about now.

I am not at all familiar with any schedules NYA freights have. Is there any loose scheduling of where to see them on Long Island?

POints near Pinelawn or Wellwood or the central branch could work.

Any thoughts and comments and tips are much appreciated!

#462006  by tushykushy

This is been posted plenty of times before, so please check down in previous topics below.

I think Pinelawn is one of the most scenic places on the RR when the leaves change colors. A bit out of touch with what's the recent norm, but typically the RS-30 will follow the 9-10am eastbound out of Farmingdale if they're going out east (provided they even go mainline) and same going for the RS-60 if it's going west.

I've seen the bakery in Lindenhurst done early and they usually hit the central before 10am, usually making a quick return trip west to either do a reverse at Bethpage or go back to Hicksville. Otherwise, Wellwood is typically done on the west bound return if they do the Montauk.

I've been out east as well when the leaves change colors. Provided the RS-60 goes east that day, they usually follow the 9:30ish AM eastbound out of Deer Park. A great place to catch pretty much any train during the fall season is at the predestrian overpass, just about a half mile west of Ronkonkoma station.
 #463609  by freightguy

Is it true the NYAR runs everything as an extra now? Is it possible to get some nightime digital shots East of KO2? I would like to railfan the line this winter!

#463743  by jayrmli

Looks like the mainline freight will be running at night...for now.

Jay
 #563198  by nyar271

HEY! if u would like 2 catch nyar during the year they are usually in farmingdale around 920 tuesday- friday and in mineola wed night around 930 ish plus they run alot durin the weekend i love them lol :-D O i almost forgot they usually fly back from farmingdale tuesday- friday around 430 ish with a big consist
 #563712  by mainline

No RS50 but he might be talking about RS80 returning from coastal and Amerigas . During the day either RS30 or 40 from returning from Pine Aire to Fresh Pond.