• Employment at UP in Portland, Oregon

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by flynn

I've been invited to attend a Train Crew Hiring Session on 03/27/08 in Portland, Oregon. I've been reading through the posts and I'm still not clear on some things.

1. Will I be able to make a living with UP in Portland?
2. Will I be furloughed immediately?
3. If I am furloughed, are there still ways to make money and keep my benefits?
4. Will my assignment as yard crew, road crew, brakeman, conductor, etc... depend on my scores during training or does it just depend on where the company needs people?
5. Will I be working out of Portland or will they want me to work out of another city?
6. How much is the pay during training and will I be able to get overtime hours?

Thanks for any replies. I apologize for the amount of questions but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by my family.

by UPRR engineer

Already a topic about the Northwest in the Employment Forum, feel free to ask all your questions there. But with a little searching over there you'll see that most of your questions have already been answered

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49418

Locking her up there buddy.