Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by kitn1mcc

i know i am going to a to do PSA on this service just fre form them on my show on sundays on wesu 88.1 in middletown wesufm.org

by Jeff Smith

I haven't seen anything posted, but I don't troll eastern CT newspapers; any news on ridership / service feedback?

by Jeff Smith

Another "hit" from the CTRRC minutes for January:

http://www.trainweb.org/ct/minutes0108.htm
In answer to a question from Mr. Jelley, Mr. Colonese said that the Department has the operating dollars to operate the Phase I and II expansion of Shore Line East service. He said that there was also money to design two-sided stations for Branford, Madison, Clinton and Westbrook but not money to build those stations.
I'm not sure what the specifics are to the Phase 1 and 2 expansions. Has weekend service continued? I know there are also issues with Amtrak and New London (is that the Thames River Bridge being replaced by Amtrak?). What would Phase 2 be? Off-peak service similar to what is happening on Spring Valley WOH line?

Last: why are two-sided stations even necessary? Aren't there better alternatives? Is it an operational issue with the NEC, or could they use middle platforms (that's probably way more trouble than it's worth).

by Otto Vondrak

Sarge wrote:Last: why are two-sided stations even necessary? Aren't there better alternatives? Is it an operational issue with the NEC, or could they use middle platforms (that's probably way more trouble than it's worth).
Constructing island platforms requires moving and spreading the tracks to make room for said island. Building two stations side by side reduces the need to alter the tracks in any significant manner.

-otto-

by Jeff Smith

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Sarge wrote:Last: why are two-sided stations even necessary? Aren't there better alternatives? Is it an operational issue with the NEC, or could they use middle platforms (that's probably way more trouble than it's worth).
Constructing island platforms requires moving and spreading the tracks to make room for said island. Building two stations side by side reduces the need to alter the tracks in any significant manner.

-otto-
Right; thus my comment on it being more trouble than it's worth. I just don't know why they need two-sided stations. Does keeping SLE on one track for station stops help Amtrak dispatch? I mean, there's not that much SLE traffic to begin with, why would they need a second platform?

by Otto Vondrak

Because I assume the SLE trains have to run against the current of traffic in at least one direction. Let's say the railroad is at least two tracks, east and west. Lets say our depot on on the westbound track. What do I do with a train going eastbound? I have to cross that train over to the westbound track, foul traffic, and cause headaches all around. Having a station on both sides with prevent that.

Yes, as I said above, building a platform in the middle of two tracks is too much trouble. You can't just plunk a platform down, you have to spread the tracks to make room. If you already have one platform built on one side of the tracks, its much simpler to just build a complimentary station on the other side.

-otto-

by Jeff Smith

Thanks Otto. I have no idea how they run / dispatch the SLE trains, and I assumed they ran only one direction (peak), similar to what WOH service was on SV line. Thus, I thought they could keep them on one dedicated track. Since I've checked the sched, I see that's not the case. Now the second platform makes much more sense, strictly from an operational rather than a train/passenger count. A passing Regional/Acela can be routed around an SLE local much easier.

Any clarification what the service enhancements/phases are?
  by henry6

Otto Vondrak wrote:

-otto-
Also, middle islands need overhead or underground access; spreading tracks out and around means speed restrictions. If it were designed before the track laying, it all could be compensated for, but retro fitting would be difficult.

by Otto Vondrak

Sarge, this service runs over the Northeast Corridor along with all the other Amtrak and frieght traffic that uses this busy line. No dedicated tracks.

by pnaw10

Sarge wrote:I mean, there's not that much SLE traffic to begin with, why would they need a second platform?
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

In other words, is SLE service infrequent because of the lack or platforms, or has there been a lack of platforms because SLE traffic is infrequent?

The former was probably true when the service started. But if ridership is growing and there's demand for more service... there's only so far you can go with a limitation like being able to make stops on just one track -- for all the reasons mentioned above.

There may be some stations where building the extra platform could be considered overdoing it right now, but as the service grows, more and more people will discover it. Just too bad they only have the money for designing, without any money to actually build anything.

@ henry6 - Doesn't matter if you have 2 side platforms or 1 island platform... you're going to need an overpass or underpass anyway. Generally people board on one platform going to their destination, and they disembark from the other platform when they complete their round trip. If you're not crossing the tracks to get from the parking lot to your first train, you'll probably need to cross the tracks to get from the other platform back to the parking lot after your return trip.

Sure, you could just set up a pedestian crossing... but no railroad in its right mind would build a brand new station today where people are expected to walk directly across the tracks. Even if CDOT tried to, its lawyers would certainly disallow it.

by Murjax

If building an island platform is so much trouble, why did they build one at OSB?

by Swedish Meatball

They turn almost all the SLE trains at OSB. With the island platform they dont have to go further east to clear up. CDOT is always slow with capital projects. There should be a minimum of 4 car platforms on both sides with pedestrian flyovers at every stop. Niantic should get a stop but I imagine there is no parking available.

by Fred G

OSB is also an Amtrak stop, unlike the other SLE stations between OSB and NHV, so an additional platform was needed right at the getgo.