• Did 4024 break down this morning? 2/13

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by AMoreira81

thebigc wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:It sure sounded that way on the radio

I never heard of a "System Reset" not working on a Geep........

I think it was 5412 but whoever it was, it was near or at Dunellen Station.
Remember, you get what you pay for.

Unless of course NJ Transit specs it out then no amount of money can buy reliability.

My prediction for 2010? NJT buys the remaining LIRR DM series engines. They'll make the PL42's seem like SD40-2's by comparison.
No no no no NO! NJ Transit isn't THAT stupid to take on another agency's lemons!

by thebigc

AMoreira81 wrote:
thebigc wrote:

Unless of course NJ Transit specs it out then no amount of money can buy reliability.

My prediction for 2010? NJT buys the remaining LIRR DM series engines. They'll make the PL42's seem like SD40-2's by comparison.
No no no no NO! NJ Transit isn't THAT stupid to take on another agency's lemons!
Another agency's lemons? Like the CNW F7A's, and the Amtrak E60CH's? And you have no idea how close we were to buying some of Amtrak's finest P30CH's!

by ApproachMedium

thebigc wrote:
AMoreira81 wrote:
thebigc wrote:

Another agency's lemons? Like the CNW F7A's, and the Amtrak E60CH's? And you have no idea how close we were to buying some of Amtrak's finest P30CH's!
Yea, and dont forget NJT just got how many P40s from Amtrak? Oh whats that? what happend to thouse F40PHs they had a few years back that hardly ever saw road service because they couldnt handle no cab signaled terrirtory and leaked oil like theres no tomorrow.

by AMoreira81

AntNJTrainSet wrote:
thebigc wrote:
AMoreira81 wrote:
thebigc wrote:

Yea, and dont forget NJT just got how many P40s from Amtrak? Oh whats that? what happend to thouse F40PHs they had a few years back that hardly ever saw road service because they couldnt handle no cab signaled terrirtory and leaked oil like theres no tomorrow.
Curious, those F40PHs, which ones were these that had problems? (I am aware of the delays in the PL42AC delivery.) I would ask about the P40s, but that belongs in another thread.

by ApproachMedium

The Machine wrote:
Curious, those F40PHs, which ones were these that had problems? (I am aware of the delays in the PL42AC delivery.) I would ask about the P40s, but that belongs in another thread.
I forget the numbers but they were four(?) Amtrak units leased from Railworld. I dont know much about them, so can anyone fill me in sometime?
http://hobokenterminal.com/alltime.html 270-400

by blockline4180

I'm sure the RVL commuters would love it if more PL42's were brought over and then after a few days they all broke down simultaneously ...LOL :P

by Matt Johnson

How many years of reliability issues will they tolerate before giving up on the PL42?

by geoffand

I have yet to be on a train with a PL42 that broke down. In the beginning they had a few issues with the HEP going out, but that seems to have worked itself out since.

However, I've been on plenty of trains that were dead --very dead-- with an older unit push/pulling.

Train 872 broke down at least once every other week for an entire year--but not once with a PL-42 (at least not when I was on it). By far, that train was the most unreliable. This is going back a year or so. I take a different line now.

by nick11a

The PL42s have gotten MUCH better..... but still, they are the most likely to have problems it seems... which is unfortunate because they are brand new.

by sullivan1985

I just can't doooo it captain! I doooon't have the power!

by firthorfifth06

5412 broke was cancelled at Bridgewater according to njtransit.com

by blockline4180

firthorfifth06 wrote:5412 broke was cancelled at Bridgewater according to njtransit.com
Someone said the 4029 is down there now!! Another chance for a PL42 to breakdown!! :P

by nick11a

sullivan1985 wrote:

I just can't doooo it captain! I doooon't have the power!
If only NJT had a miracle worker like Scotty. They could use him right about now.

by sullivan1985

blockline4180 wrote:
firthorfifth06 wrote:5412 broke was cancelled at Bridgewater according to njtransit.com
Someone said the 4029 is down there now!! Another chance for a PL42 to breakdown!! :P
As long as you don't see 4027 down there. If you do, your in trouble. :P

by firthorfifth06

If only NJT had a miracle worker like Scotty. They could use him right about now.
Very true nick, very true! However, It'd kinda be like the Excelsior from Star Trek III, new engine but garbage. He'd just "pull the transwarp chips" from the PL42 and let his "Enterprise" F40's, etc fly away at warp speeds...