• Did 4024 break down this morning? 2/13

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by firthorfifth06

While I was on the 5415 this morning, we were delayed by at least five to seven minutes waiting for 5902 to pass. If I recall correctly 5413 at raritan deadheads to plainfield to become 5902. The last week or so, 5413 ran with the lovely 4024 as its engine; when 5902 passed us, 4024 was on the rear of the train, and another engine was towing the train out front.

Has the curse of the PL42's finally struck the RVL?

by Jtgshu

It sure sounded that way on the radio

I never heard of a "System Reset" not working on a Geep........

I think it was 5412 but whoever it was, it was near or at Dunellen Station.

by Notch 8

A PL42 breaking down.

Just..

Can't...

Resist...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

OK. I feel much better now.
Yes, they are junk.

by NJT Rider

Well,

It was not a good day for the PL's

4030's HEP cut out everytime the train stopped this morning on the BCL eastbound trip.

They must have fixed the issue (Prob a loose cable) as going home the lights stayed on.

lol...

by Jtgshu

NJT Rider wrote:Well,

4030's HEP cut out everytime the train stopped this morning on the BCL eastbound trip.

They must have fixed the issue (Prob a loose cable) as going home the lights stayed on.

lol...
Probably can't blame that on the PL though - sounds like it was a loose 480Volt HEP jumper wire somewhere in the train - they are designed to shut off at slow speeds (i think its 5mph and under) so there is less of a risk of an injury to a person on the platform or getting off or on.

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:

lol...
Probably can't blame that on the PL though - sounds like it was a loose 480Volt HEP jumper wire somewhere in the train - they are designed to shut off at slow speeds (i think its 5mph and under) so there is less of a risk of an injury to a person on the platform or getting off or on.
A sensible precaution.

It would be interesting to see the differences in the occurences of breakdowns now with the PL42ACs compared to before on the RVL.

by Jtgshu

nick11a wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:

lol...
A sensible precaution.

It would be interesting to see the differences in the occurences of breakdowns now with the PL42ACs compared to before on the RVL.
The 4138 and 39 haven't broken down yet - hahahaha

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:
nick11a wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:

lol...
A sensible precaution.

The 4138 and 39 haven't broken down yet - hahahaha
Yup, I guess in a sense, the FH-2s are having their last laughs right about now.

by ApproachMedium

Thouse FH-2s will be laughing all the way till their bloody murder by NJT because they would rather keep silly s#!$ like PL42s instead of relyable simple proven technology like GPs hahahahhahahah

Raritan valley line, you have received the curse!

by blockline4180

AntNJTrainSet wrote:Thouse FH-2s will be laughing all the way till their bloody murder by NJT because they would rather keep silly s#!$ like PL42s instead of relyable simple proven technology like GPs hahahahhahahah

Raritan valley line, you have received the curse!
Very nicely put my friend!! Give the fine man a cigar! :-D

by transit383

Nice, so the first PL42 on the RVL can't even last two weeks without a problem. I wonder if NJT will be brave enough to send another one out there now!

NJT 4024 on the RVL

by CNJGeep

NJT Rider wrote:
Yup, I guess in a sense, the FH-2s are having their last laughs right about now.[/quote]

Well, you know what they say-he who laughs last,laughs best.

by thebigc

Jtgshu wrote:It sure sounded that way on the radio

I never heard of a "System Reset" not working on a Geep........

I think it was 5412 but whoever it was, it was near or at Dunellen Station.
Remember, you get what you pay for.

Unless of course NJ Transit specs it out then no amount of money can buy reliability.

My prediction for 2010? NJT buys the remaining LIRR DM series engines. They'll make the PL42's seem like SD40-2's by comparison.

by Notch 8

Could you imagine a SD40PH-2? I always prefer a six axle ride to a four axle ride.

by blockline4180

My prediction for 2010? NJT buys the remaining LIRR DM series engines

The sad part of this statement is that I think he was being serious!!