Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MNRR_RTC

Not a problem Mr. Camphor. I am glad that this misunderstanding between us is cleared up.

by LongIslandTool

I truly doubt that anyone would argue that a collector on the LIRR is not worth more than a silly astronaut.

by Blockhead98

Collectors and conductors certainly deserve hazardous duty pay. They have to work amongst those of our valued customers who have grudges against the Carrier both real and imagined. They put up with alot of guff.

by Grump

Blockhead98 wrote:Collectors and conductors certainly deserve hazardous duty pay. They have to work amongst those of our valued customers who have grudges against the Carrier both real and imagined. They put up with alot of guff.
A perfect example, the creator of this thread.

by Jumpshot724

I truly doubt that anyone would argue that a collector on the LIRR is not worth more than a silly astronaut.
Sarcasm? 'Cause I'm PRETTY sure astronauts go through a lot more to get where they are....

by LongIslandTool

Think so?

by 56andahalf

point88 wrote:if a train breaks down in the middle of nowhere that train has to be moved. The engineer might have to operate that train from another car in the middle of the consist. The conductor must then use all his knowledge and be the eyes for the engineer. He must know the correct route to take checking switch points and signals.
MNRR_RTC wrote:conductors also perform flagging and piloting duties...
bluebelly wrote:When a reverse move is made the Conductor is on the leading end.
Now we're getting somewhere. Reading the above posts and others has made me feel much less concerned that my tax dollars are going to waste. I am still not entirely convinced that a conductor should be paid more than say a NYCT bus operator ($28/hr). While a bus operator has to be 100% alert every minute from initial terminal to final stop, the conductor on the other hand can cut tickets and then sit back and enjoy the ride (only when things are running smoothly, that is.) However, I now have a much better understanding for the other tasks that a conductor must do and do not feel anywhere near as concerned as I did when I started this thread.

One thought though: I've seen many references to assistant conductors/collectors on various threads here. Are these people's rate of pay identical to that of a conductor? If they're not qualified on PC, not able to be the "eyes of the engineer", and are really only there to, yes, collect tickets, I'm not sure they should be paid as much as a conductor. Could anyone shed some light on this?
Grump wrote:A perfect example, the creator of this thread.
Seeing as how all of you have made it clear that a huge portion of the conductor's responsibilities are not visible to a passenger, I don't think it was unreasonable to question the merit of paying conductors the salaries they are paid. I doubt I will be the last person to raise this issue, either here, on another board, or on the train. So be ready. Thanks to all of you for contributing to this thread; I learned a lot from it.

by MNRR_RTC

Well 56andahalf, an assistant conductor makes less than a full conductor because they have less responsibilty. However, they have to study the rules and learn the physical characteristics, as they will be promoted to full conductor, as per union and comapny agreement. So yes, while an assistant conductor earns less, like any apprenticeship, once they qualify, they will earn more. You can have collectors on a train that are already qualified conductors. It is not at all uncommon for a trainperson to get what I like to call a "battlefield promotion" to conductor if the regular conductor gets sick or there is a complete cluster %$#@ on the railroad and crews are getting thrown anywhere and everywhere.

by Swedish Meatball

56 were you turned down by the LIRR. What is your obsession with the Conductors rate of pay? The MTA Police get payed quite well also. In an event of a fire inside the tunnels with a 10 car train would you expect the engineer to guide 1000 people safely out. After the events of 911 there should be more people on the trains not less. There are posters all over the trains saying if you see something say something. It would be pretty difficult to say something if no one is around.

by Otto Vondrak

While a bus operator has to be 100% alert every minute from initial terminal to final stop, the conductor on the other hand can cut tickets and then sit back and enjoy the ride
LOL oh man, you are so hung up on the retail aspect! I assume that because you only SEE the conductor cutting tickets, you assume he does nothing else. The conductor does not merely cut a few tickets, then put his feet up in the last coach and wait to arrive in Penn Station. A conductor must be 100% alert every minute- he is the one running the train. The engineer just moves the throttle. The train doesn't move until the engineer gets the "all-clear" from the conductor. Conductors are constantly monitoring their train and ensuring the safety of passengers. Conductors operate the doors at each station, they must make sure everyone enters and exits safely, and what's more, they must be absolutely sure no one is being dragged to their death. They also are repsonsible for keeping the train on time and reducing delays. I can't describe every function of a passenger conductor on the LIRR because I am not one, but I assure you, they are paid their worth because they are PROFESSIONALS. They receive professional pay for professional work (not to mention they have to make a living in the metro New York area... and if you haven't noticed, it aint cheap to live around here). The fact that you only see conductors cutting tickets is only the tip of the iceberg and only a very small portion of their responsibilities.

I don't know how to make it any clearer: Conductors aren't paid to just cut tickets and put their feet up!

I don't know how much clearer we can make it. Perhaps some conductor would like to list every duty they perform in the course of a day? I mean EVERY duty, whether required by their job or not. Would that satisfy you?

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

Okay, so before every engineer on the forum jumps me at once... I know very well that the engineer does much more than "move the throttle." What I am trying to explain to our friend 56andahalf is that the conductor works in cooperation with the engineer. Both are heavily invested in the safe operation of getting the train over the road in a timely manner.

In no way did I mean to diminish the role of the engineer in the safe operation of passenger trains. Conductors and engineers perform different roles, and get paid for them accordingly.

-otto-

by Laocoon seer & priest

Now conductors keep trains on time??? How does he do that, by telling the engineer which way to move the throttle?

Come on now!

by RearOfSignal

Laocoon seer & priest wrote:Now conductors keep trains on time??? How does he do that, by telling the engineer which way to move the throttle?

Come on now!
Actually, a good crew can sometimes make up some time over the course of several station stops, getting to the final destination on or close to time. The engineer can't go until the conductor gives him the OK, the conductor is in charge of the train. Some may say otherwise but the conductor has general charge over his train and members of the crew.
Last edited by RearOfSignal on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Laocoon seer & priest

Yonkers must have different rules than Long Island. Here, Engineers report to their Road Foreman of Engines. But you are correct that a good conductor will make a good team that will help the train over the road. He'll push that buzzer really fast.

by LirrBrakeman

Rearofsignal i am a Conductor and i would like to know what "authority" I have over an Engineer? I dont care what you say or the BS you have been fed, I am not his boss and cant tell him how to do his job. As far the train not moving until I allow it, how about it not moving at all unless he wants to move it. Save the hype I do this for a living and am sick of hearing b**l sh*t from a bunch of bags of wind. Sorry I dont care what the union said or what Training told you. When we want to make up time and make a deadhead home we ask the engineer not the Conductor. They run the trains. we know it, the union knows it, Training knows it and the railroad knows it. If you disagree, ask the Union why they had to give up all our work rules just to get the same pay as them. If your offended by reality, sorry deal with it.