Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

I'm trying to compile a list of former stations along Metra's network for an upcoming project; including station closures by the legacy railroads that predated Metra. My local library isn't of much help to me for anything prior to 1960, so I've decided that to be the year I'm starting from. So far, this is what I've got, complete with the year the station was closed; most of the following data is courtesy of RTAMS:

BNSF:

Clyde (2007)

SW:

Western Ave. (1983)
Also, from an old RTA map, I recall seeing a station along 74th St. at Racine and/or Ashland; both were closed during the late 70s...

HC:

Halsted St. (1983)
Brighton Park (1983)
Glenn (circa 1990)
Lockport/5th (1987)

Milw/W:

Cragin (2006)
Hermosa (2006)
Also, the station at Hanover Park was originally named Ontarioville. Anyone know when the station was renamed?

Milw/N:

Rondout (1983)
Wilson Rd. (1983)
Spring Grove (1982)
Solon Mills (1982)
Zenda (1982)
Walworth (1982)

Interesting to note that Zenda did re-open briefly during Amtrak's short-lived Lake Country limited, serving passengers bound for the resorts at Lake Geneva, or at least the few passengers that bothered using the service...

RI:

99th/Longwood (1985)
111th/Givens (1983)

ME:

67th St. (1983)
Plus several other stations between 27th & 47th, many of which were closed in the 50's...

CNW/UP:

North:

Abbott Platform (short-lived station in the mid 80's, serving Abbott Labs just south of Waukegan)

NW:

Richmond (1981)
Hartland (1983)
Ringwood (1979)

All of the above stations were on the McHenry branch, north of the current terminal.

Additions & corrections welcome...

by AMTK347

UP/CNW North

Dempster street (Evanston) 1958
Rosehill 1958
Dunes Park (between Zion and Waukegan) ???
Camp Logan (North of Zion) ???
Kenmore 1958
Belmont ave. 1958
Summerdale 1958
Wilson ave 1958
Northcenter 1958
Calvary 1958
Clinton Street 1958

by EricL

Rock:
Englewood
Normal Park
Hamilton Park
Auburn Park

by MetraF40C607

MILW-W:

Spaulding

by Metra 47 607

MILW-N

Techny

CNW-NW

Mayfair
Avondale Sta

CNW-W

Austin Blvd

by doepack

Here's a bump for this thread, got a couple from an old N&W schedule dated 2/25/70, during its last years at Dearborn station. Thanks to all previous contributors...

47th St.

Englewood

Halsted

Southmoor (131st St., just E of SW Hwy)

Interesting notes about the schedule: The "City of Decatur" made additional stops at Oak Lawn and Englewood, including weekends. The two daily commuter runs began and ended the day at OP/143rd, and I've heard that the equipment would layover there during the week, then head to Decatur for servicing on weekends...

by byte

doepack wrote:Here's a bump for this thread, got a couple from an old N&W schedule dated 2/25/70, during its last years at Dearborn station. Thanks to all previous contributors...

Englewood

If Chicago gets the Olympics, they'd be stupid if they didn't open this one back up, even if the RI connector isn't done by then.
  by metraRI

I was randomly looking through things today and came across an RI schedule from 1972. Its quite something to compare the current schedule to that. As posted previously, numerous stations between Blue Island and LaSalle have closed since then. Its also interesting to see how things have really flipped as in service levels on the branch and mainline. Only 13 round trips were made to Joliet each weekday, compared to 16 inbound/17 out on the branch and 1 inbound / 2 outbound Blue Island mainline trains.

Something I have not seen before is an express branch line train, which skipped 123rd, 107th, 103rd, 99th, and 95th. Another interesting thing is RI had branch line trains during the morning rush in the 7 o'clock hour running almost every 10 minutes, stopping at Prairie Street at 6:51, 7:00 (express), 7:07, 7:17, 7:27, 7:31, 7:41, 7:56.

Getting back to the topic, stations that have closed since:

Station - Service Level
Englewood (63rd & LaSalle) - 10 Trains Mo-Fri
Ham'ln Park (71st & Stweart) - 6 Trains Mo-Fri
Auburn Park (78th & Fielding) - 7 Trains Mo-Fri
Longwood (99th Street) - 15 Trains Mo-Fri
Givins (111th Street) - 12 Trains Mo-Fri

Other interesting notes: 80th Avenue and Hickory Creek were not yet built and a one way ticket from Joliet cost $1.75.
  by doepack

Found a site that shows the old CNW station houses in Wheaton and West Chicago, among others. The actual stations have been relocated (the new Wheaton depot opened in 1999), but the original buildings are still intact, and have been put to other uses. Have a look...

http://www.waymarking.com/cat/details.a ... naperville
  by Mitch

On the IC Electric:

31st Street
43rd Street
72nd Street
130th Street Wildwood
  by Mitch

PRRGuy wrote:Mitch, I'm pretty sure the platform in front of 67th st tower is also closed to the public.

Ryan
I think it's used to transfer passengers from Matteson trains to South Chicago trains at times. But don't look at me. I've been gone for 9 years now.
  by CarterB

C&NW McHenry branch had stations at:
McHenry, Ringwood, Richmond, Genoa City, Pell Lake, and Lake Geneva/Williams Bay. Not sure when they closed.

Milwaukee ran commuter trains up to Walworth to access Fontana on Lake Geneva.

C&EI/C&WI ran commuter trains to at least Dolton, and I believe further south to Beecher?
Last edited by CarterB on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by doepack

CarterB wrote:C&NW McHenry branch had stations at:
McHenry, Ringwood, Richmond, Genoa City, Pell Lake, and Lake Geneva/Williams Bay. Not sure when they closed.

Milwaukee ran commuter trains up to Walworth to access Fontana on Lake Geneva
The McHenry station is still open, and is the current terminal. Richmond & Ringwood were closed in 1981 & 1979 respectively as I stated earlier; ditto for the stations north of Fox Lake to Walworth on the Milwaukee...

CarterB wrote:C&EI/C&WI ran commuter trains to at least Dolton, and I believe further south to Beecher?
Ah yes, the C&WI's "Dolton Dummy". A portion of this line will be re-activated when the Southeast service trains start running...
  by CarterB

Doepack,
So the last trains for the "shoebies" (persons who commuted to Lake Geneva in the summer with a shoebox as a suitcase --toothbrush, swim suit and change of undies) on either the CNW or Milw was around 1979?

Where all will the reborn SE service have stations/stops? and by when?