Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

CarterB wrote:Doepack,
So the last trains for the "shoebies" (persons who commuted to Lake Geneva in the summer with a shoebox as a suitcase --toothbrush, swim suit and change of undies) on either the CNW or Milw was around 1979?
Probably, and perhaps a few years earlier than that. Never found out the precise year, which is kind of hard to nail down especially since the cutbacks from Lake Geneva to McHenry happened in stages. RTA discontinued service to Walworth 1982...

Where all will the reborn SE service have stations/stops? and by when?[/quote]

Initial plans are to run the service out of LaSalle St., using current Rock Island trackage to Gresham, where it'll curve east, then south on what is now UP's Villa Grove sub (ex-C&WI) to Crete. Intermediate stations are planned at Dolton, South Holland, and Chicago Heights, among others, but it's anybody's guess as to when Metra will begin service on this route. If it happens before 2020, I'll be impressed...
  by superbad

I'm too interested in the southeast service, but this is a new topic.. i think 2013.. or whenever.. I hear they are going to us DMU's like the ones in North San Diego County.
  by CarterB

Deja vu on the DMU's!!! That's what the C&EI had in the 1950s, a single Budd RDC1. But...in those days it went all the way south to Cypress Ill replacing the Meadowlark, then in early 60s cut back to Danville as the Danville Flyer. That RDC as far as I know is still operating in Cuba.