• Smallest station in NJ Transit system

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by alewifebp

I would say Delewanna, but Plauderville is also pretty small on the BCL. Avenel on the NJCL is pretty tiny. While not NJT, the smallest station I've ever seen has to be Breakneck Ridge on the Hudson Line. Basically some gravel and a sign. And take the R7 betwen Trenton and Philly and you'll see a few pretty small stations.

Now if I had to say worst looking/maintained, quite a few on the ML/BCL take the cake, such as Garfield and Kingsland.

by Lackawanna484

Delawanna has a small station eb, but the platform is prob 10 cars long. You can see where the six tracks used to be, the station is about fifty feet from the eb rails now.

(Several interesting siding remnants on the wb side of Delawanna. That used to be six tracks plus sidings. Factories on both sides, several roustabouts working the sides three tricks daily xSun)

by matt1168

alewifebp wrote:I would say Delewanna, but Plauderville is also pretty small on the BCL. Avenel on the NJCL is pretty tiny. While not NJT, the smallest station I've ever seen has to be Breakneck Ridge on the Hudson Line. Basically some gravel and a sign. And take the R7 betwen Trenton and Philly and you'll see a few pretty small stations.

Now if I had to say worst looking/maintained, quite a few on the ML/BCL take the cake, such as Garfield and Kingsland.
1. Although small, compared to most of the stations on the NJCL south of Long Branch, Avenel looks like a major rail station.

2. Hate to break it to you, but the R7 stations between Trenton and Philly are some of SEPTA's largest stations, in terms of platform size. Take a trip over to my home line

by njt5140

Garwood on the RVL is about the same size as Bridgewater, but with a much smaller parking lot and it only being a rush hour non weekend stop.

by mcmannors

Garwood on the RVL is about the same size as Bridgewater, but with a much smaller parking lot and it only being a rush hour non weekend stop.
5403 is a rush hour train?

by JLo

Non rush trains stop at Garwood.

by njt5140

mcmannors wrote:
5403 is a rush hour train?
It's a rush hour train for the Third Trickers! The stop is more thrilling than Bridgewater since the 7-Eleven was opened right there on North Ave. They sell Wacky Packages there but no Newsday!!

by Lackawanna484

Does Finderne on the RVL count as a station? There's not much at the site, and it gets just a few trains daily...

by The Rising

McMannors and NJT5140

Don't forget the Quick Check in Garwood.....
:wink:
What would the MA20 crew do without it....

And OH MY GOODNESS...what would life be like without 7-11... :-D

by JLo

Does Finderne on the RVL count as a station? There's not much at the site, and it gets just a few trains daily...
Lack, you answered your own question. Trains make scheduled stops at it. The fact that it is on the RVL schedule, is listed by NJT as a station and has trains stopping it it, no matter how few, I think that makes it a station by definition.

by matt1168

Can somebody please explain the point of Finderne station to me?

Looking at the schedules, I see that theres 1 train daily from Finderne to Raritan, and 2 from Finderne to Newark, excluding weekends.

I also noticed that trains only stop at the station in a reverse peak direction fashion (for example, the train going away from the city is in the morning, while the trains going to the city are in the afternoon).

Thanks in advance.

Also, anybody got any pictures?

by Lackawanna484

I don't think Finderne has a building, which was the point of my question. It has a few feet of seasonally visible gravel, though. That's why I asked if it qualified as a small station...

Originally, Finderne served as a passenger station from the mills and factories of "west manville" or "east bridgewater" almost all of which are gone. If any are still around, I'm sure JLo will fill us in :-D

by JLo

National Starch, part of ICI, is still in Bridgewater at Finderne. :wink:

by bspinelli

Come on now everyone. You know its not the size of the station that counts, its the frequency of the service. :wink: