• Proper way to pronounce Kearny

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Idiot Railfan

Should it now be "Newark Liberty Broad Street Station," and "Newark Liberty Penn Station"?

by Jtgshu

Next stop.....PERSE AMBOY.....next stop SOUF AMBOY...
Close, but its "Purseamby" all one word!!!

I say "ma - TOUCH - en" then chuckle in my head something an ol timer conductor told me jokenly once - "Metuchen myself" - I KNOW one day Im going to slip and say that over the PA!!! hahahahahhah

by sullivan1985

Can't forget Rutherford.....

They always stretch it out way to long... "Next Stop, RUTHHHFFFF...ford"

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:
Next stop.....PERSE AMBOY.....next stop SOUF AMBOY...
Close, but its "Purseamby" all one word!!!

I say "ma - TOUCH - en" then chuckle in my head something an ol timer conductor told me jokenly once - "Metuchen myself" - I KNOW one day Im going to slip and say that over the PA!!! hahahahahhah
Some guys just say "Perth."

by Tri-State Tom

MAN-ass-quon

ball-TEE-more

loss-ANGLE-lease

BASS-ton

WORE-chess-ter

HAT-ford

she-CAR-go

LOO-e-ville....LOU-ESS-ville

HUGH-ston....HOUSE-ton

by Idiot Railfan

Who remembers that stationmaster at New York Penn station who had turned station announcements into an art form? He retired about 10 years ago, I believe. He could be seen sitting in the little booth above the Amtrak ticket windows before the ticket area was expanded.

by JFB

Tri-State Tom wrote:WORE-chess-ter
Nope. WOOstah.

I once met a girl with a mix of the thickest Joisey and Brooklyn accents I ever heard. I later found out it was because she was from Worchester, Mass.

by Camelback

A couple of other New Jersey towns:

Sergeantsville -- SAHRgentsville to outsiders, SEHRgentsville to locals.

Navesink - NAHVesink to outsiders, NAAvesink to locals.

by pdman

NYP announcer: there was an article in Trains about him when he retired. Nice testimonial.

by F40

I first knew how to pronounce Kearny from Mr. Kearney, my Arch. Drawing teacher a few years ago. "It's Karny, like the city in NJ. Not Kerny. Make sure you have that correct."
  by henry6

No matter how many letters, how many syllables, and how many words are in a place name, as a commuter conductor you must pronounce all in one syllable and in under three seconds. All trainmen and ticket collectors must find alternate pronunciations and may take up to five seconds. In the evening all pronunciations are reversed. These pronunciations held through during the tenure of any one conductor or conductor and trainmen crew and was subject to change.