• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by #7470

superwarp1 wrote:How often does 7470 do the notch train? Yes, great pics
Once maybe twice a year.

by Joe Fox

Thank you Dick H. I bet the firemen had a lot of shoveling to do though. But I am sure that the train crew loved it all the same.

Joe

by superwarp1

thanks 7470, my next Notch trip will be scheduled during one of these runs.
Last edited by superwarp1 on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by b&m 1566

superwarp1 wrote:thanks 7470, next Notch trip will be scheduled during one of these runs.
What runs?

Also was there another engine fallowing suit incase the 7470 broke down?

by Cowford

Quick question: do CSRR enginemen still mount their personalized name plates on the cab sides of 7470?

by Dick H

I don't recall that many trips of the 7470 through the Notch over the years and of course, it was out of service for several years. Prices for the 7470 Notch trips are roughly double the regular Notch trains, so they don't run it too often and it really mostly appeals to railfans, as the average tourist rider really has little interest in whether it is a diesel or a steam engine pulling the train, as they go for the scenery, etc.

The 2820 followed the train last Saturday northbound and was attached to the rear of the train between Fabyan's and Crawford's on the southbound trip, undoubtedly for braking purposes.

Dick H

by Joe Fox

If prices stay the same, sometimes the number of people will go up depending on the type of train. For example, the W, W, & F Ry ran diesel powered excurssions for years, and in 2005 they started running the steam engine almost every weekend, and due to that, the number of passengers that showed up during the year nearly doubled compared to the year before. Of course, it all depends on what the circumstances are. Going up the notch with a steam engine, and raised ticket prices, I am sure that most of the seats were probably sold out.

Joe

by eriemike

The 7470 ran once each in 2000, 2001 and 2002 through the Notch. She was then out of service until this year. Each of those three runs were special railfan trips and not that widely publizied from what I recall.

I found out about the first one after it ran and made sure to pay attention for the next one. I rode the one in 2001 and chased it in 2002. As I recalled, they ran the 7470 from N. Conway to Bartlett with a small freight train consisting of a box car and the wooden B&M caboose. The diesel brought up the passenger car to Bartlett. They took off the diesel and put on the 7470 and continued on to the Notch. Once they got to the Crawford Depot, they were supposed to go to Fayban's but a heated wheel bearing was acting up and they decided to take the 7470 back light and take the train to Fayban's by diesel. That was in 2001.

by b&m 1566

eriemike wrote:The 7470 ran once each in 2000, 2001 and 2002 through the Notch. She was then out of service until this year. Each of those three runs were special railfan trips and not that widely publizied from what I recall.

I found out about the first one after it ran and made sure to pay attention for the next one. I rode the one in 2001 and chased it in 2002. As I recalled, they ran the 7470 from N. Conway to Bartlett with a small freight train consisting of a box car and the wooden B&M caboose. The diesel brought up the passenger car to Bartlett. They took off the diesel and put on the 7470 and continued on to the Notch. Once they got to the Crawford Depot, they were supposed to go to Fayban's but a heated wheel bearing was acting up and they decided to take the 7470 back light and take the train to Fayban's by diesel. That was in 2001.
That sounds right because this year it was the first time the 7470 went to Fayban's. I hope they run it up the notch again for rail fan’s weekend; I'll be up there for that. Something tells me they won't because running it up the notch once a year for them is probably enough.

by CSRR573

It says in the brosure for this years railfans weekend the 7470 will run a special extra up to bartlett on sunday. It would be nice though if the put the 7470 on for the "Day In The White Mountains" trip and run her up to fabyans.

P.S. Does anyone know if they will run the 2820 or the 6505&6516 for the white mountains run???

by shadyjay

CSRR573 wrote:P.S. Does anyone know if they will run the 2820 or the 6505&6516 for the white mountains run???
Don't know about this year, but last year the sisters (6505/6516) were the primary power. The 4266 did lead the train from N. Conway (MEC) south to Redstone, then was cut off on the trip north to Mountain Junction. The sisters took it from there, ran around at Fabyans, continued north, then south to N. Conway (BM) then the 2820 was tacked on to the north end and about 90 minutes later, pulled north to Mtn Jct, then the sisters led south back to N. Conway (MEC) and Redstone. The Sunday trip was led by 2820. So you never know what power you're gonna see, especially that weekend.

by CSRR573

ShadyJay, Very true when i went up to CSRR a few weeks ago i expeced the valley train to be run by the 573 but istead it was pulled by the sisters.
  by highrail

I was reading somewhere that there will be short trips from Gorham depot to Berlin as part of the Centennial clebration on August 11th. I thought I heard that CSRR would supply the coaches. Is this true?

If so, any word on when they would make the move? It would be great to chase that move. I assume that they would go through Whitefield?
  by NHN503

highrail wrote:I was reading somewhere that there will be short trips from Gorham depot to Berlin as part of the Centennial clebration on August 11th. I thought I heard that CSRR would supply the coaches. Is this true?

If so, any word on when they would make the move? It would be great to chase that move. I assume that they would go through Whitefield?
Yes.

Gorham NH; Centennial Celebration of the 1907 Grand Trunk Railway Station; Model Train Show-Train Rides-Train Simulator-Antique & Classic Car Show-Live Music & Singing Groups- -Reunion of Railroad workers & Retirees-Vendors of Art, Books, Crafts, Photography-Art for the Body, Mind & Soul-Raffles-Silent Auction-Postal Cancellation Stamp from back of REA Truck-Children's Art Contest with theme of "Trains"-Operation Lifesaver-Centennial Hats, T-shirts & Patches-Contra Dance-Free Trolley Shuttle throughout day- Special Children's Activities. Much More! 10:00 AM- 9:00 PM. FMI contact [email protected] or (603)466-2085.

by #7470

Hey guys. Right now I am up in North Conway and was at the Conway Scenic earlier today. THe 7470, as known and expected, is pulling the Valley Runs from North Conway to Conway. She looks, sound, and runs great. The only change I noticed is that the bell has been sped up, so now it rings like the 573 did just before it was changed to a slower pace. Anyone know why? I plan on riding behind her Wednesday or Thursday and I am going to make a tape recording of the trip. Pretty cool sound effects if you ask me. :wink: