• NJT Diesel on fire?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by njt4172

steemtrayn wrote:Somewhat off topic, but the 4190 arrived in Hoboken over the weekend with all of its brake shoes burned off; seems it made its run with the independent brake applied. Aren't they supposed to do some kind of test before starting a trip so things like this won't happen?
HAHAHAAH, THAT IS PRETTY DAMN FUNNY! Wonder what is next? No wonder why these trains have wheels and bearings falling off them!

by steemtrayn

njt4172 wrote:
steemtrayn wrote:Somewhat off topic, but the 4190 arrived in Hoboken over the weekend with all of its brake shoes burned off; seems it made its run with the independent brake applied. Aren't they supposed to do some kind of test before starting a trip so things like this won't happen?
HAHAHAAH, THAT IS PRETTY DAMN FUNNY! Wonder what is next? no wonder why these trains have wheels and bearings falling off them!
Expect to see more wheel fall-offs. The problem of overheating bearings is becoming more prevalent than NJT will have you believe. Isolated incident...Phooey!

by Irish Chieftain

Been hearing a lot about the MMC's shortcomings (to put it extremely mildly) over on this forum. The threads are most likely now in the archives. We've also had some testimony from the rails that post here.

Trains sure don't fix themselves. If things keep on going on as they are, then we just may hear about something as bad as a train crashing through the upper level of SEC down onto the lower level. >:-(

by nick11a

I recall an NS guy reporing here in the last incarnation of RR.net that when some of the C5s were delivered, the doors were locked so the crew couldn't turn off the brakes in the car. So they shipped it with its brakes on!

EDIT: 90,000 dollars, huh Sirsonic. Damn, that's a lot of money! Is NJT going to spend the money to fix it?
BlockLine_4111 wrote:IIRC South Orange/Summit stretch is notorious for inflicting failure to older generation EMDs. I also forsee some of NJT's 4100-4112 units becoming 4300s in the future.
Why is this section notorious for inflicting failure on the older generation Geeps? Also, is 4100-4112 going to be retired soon from passenger service? I heard from in hear that the GP40FH-2s were going once the PL42ACs arrive and all is well with them.

by Jtgshu

Its a shame it takes incidents like those that have been happening recently at NJT to make people wake up and see some of the shoddiness that exists on the railroad, maintence and equipment wise.

If it wasn't for zipties and duct tape, the railroad would grind to a halt faster than it did yesterday with the electric problems.

The number of incompetent and lazy people at this place absolutely amazes me every day. Its time for a good good housecleaning me thinks, and hopefully it will start with the mechanical forces...there are some really talented and knowledgeable mechanical people (really, this applies to any craft, including management), but the morons bring everyone down.

All these mechanical issues, and there are trainmen still getting taken OOS being a few dollars short of their working fund. Doesn't management see yet that there are bigger fish to fry and lots bigger problems than Joe Schmo trainman only having $95 instead of $100??

by TR-00

A C-5 was shipped because the doors were locked and no one on the NS could figure out how to get in and release the handbrake? No wonder the NS is so screwed up.

A brakeman with 2 weeks on the railroad should be able to solve that problem, right JT?

by nick11a

TR-00 wrote:A C-5 was shipped because the doors were locked and no one on the NS could figure out how to get in and release the handbrake? No wonder the NS is so screwed up.

A brakeman with 2 weeks on the railroad should be able to solve that problem, right JT?
That's what someone said here a few months back. I know, pretty unbelievable. Don't remember who it was though but I do remember Jt upon hering that giving his usual "Ughhhhh" reaction. :D

by Jtgshu

My usual "uuuuuuughhhhhhhh" response??? What does that mean? hahahahaha

You have it backwards TR, a brakeman with 2 weeks on the RR would do the same thing!!!

by Mark Schweber

To get back on topic:

As promised, here is the picture of the fire from the local newspaper. The picture is actually not very dramatic.

http://www.cabfinancial.com/locofire.htm

by nick11a

^Wow, I think that pic is dramatic enough for me. "The Little Engine That Couldn't." Hahaha, that is too funny.

by Ken W2KB

More proof that smoking is bad for health. :wink:

by Sirsonic

$90.000 is much less than the value of the locomotive, and it is already being repaired, or so I have been told. It is being repaired in the MMC however, so dont look for it anytime in the next few years.

by nick11a

Sirsonic wrote:$90.000 is much less than the value of the locomotive, and it is already being repaired, or so I have been told. It is being repaired in the MMC however, so dont look for it anytime in the next few years.
Haha. How true.

by sullivan1985

I hope that photographer had a permit...LOL