• NJT Diesel on fire?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by njt4172

I heard a rumor on another railroad list that a NJT engine caught fire in Summit, NJ recently...anyone know anything about this? Perhaps it was a 4200 series engine?

Thanks,
Steve

by nick11a

If it was tonight, maybe that is why the trains on the Gladstone were heavily delayed. I decended into the Millington ravine tonight to only get a mere two trains when I should have gotten about 5 or 6. Most trains were about an hour late.

EDIT: Up nevermind. Delays due to Amtrak power problems at NYPenn.
  by chuchubob

Amtrak had a power problem in the tunnels into and out of NYP resulting in cancellation of some NJT trains today.

Power has been restored and the trains are reportedly back on schedule.

Bob
  by matt1168

chuchubob wrote:Amtrak had a power problem in the tunnels into and out of NYP resulting in cancellation of some NJT trains today.

Power has been restored and the trains are reportedly back on schedule.

Bob
Yesterday too... I was on an NJCL train Matawan->NYP... got delayed 10 minutes (due to construction) before Perth Amboy, and 45 min. at Secaucus (due to power and signal probs)

by nick11a

Yeah, things have been a bit hairy today and yesterday. Anyway, anyone know anything about the diesel fire incident?

by nick11a

Thanks for the link. According to the link, the unit was an ex-conrail 3197. Looking at good old hobokenterminal.com, that would be NJT Geep 4302. One of the good old work units. I hope it can be repaired and that no one was hurt.

by Irish Chieftain

Number 4302 is one of the non-HEP Geeps.

(Still amazing to think that PC as an entity bought new locos...) :P

And don't get me started about Trainodors.com...

by nick11a

Irish Chieftain wrote:And don't get me started about Trainodors.com...
Yeah, I'm upset that I can't open the image without being a member.

by thebigc

Yep, it was the 4302. Happened sometime last week. I heard it was a traction motor fire. I also heard the Summit FD pumped quite a bit of water down the stack.

At any rate, don't look for this unit any time soon.

by njt4172

thebigc wrote:Yep, it was the 4302. Happened sometime last week. I heard it was a traction motor fire. I also heard the Summit FD pumped quite a bit of water down the stack.

At any rate, don't look for this unit any time soon.
Well, THEN I wonder if NJT will actually need the ex-Amtrak F40s now. Aren't a few in work or standby service as we speak?

Steve

by Mark Schweber

The picture is listed as coming from the Millburn-Short Hills Item. I always pick this paper up at the train station on Thursdays so I will scan the picture and link it here tomorrow.

by Sirsonic

4302 suffered about 90,000 dollars in damage. The fire caused significant damage to the main generator and high voltage cabinet.

by BlockLine_4111

IIRC South Orange/Summit stretch is notorious for inflicting failure to older generation EMDs. I also forsee some of NJT's 4100-4112 units becoming 4300s in the future.

by steemtrayn

Somewhat off topic, but the 4190 arrived in Hoboken over the weekend with all of its brake shoes burned off; seems it made its run with the independent brake applied. Aren't they supposed to do some kind of test before starting a trip so things like this won't happen?