Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#31117  by Idiot Railfan

The conductors on my train this morning were having a chuckle over the obvious spotter on board. They had a good time exagerating the station announcements, being overly polite (not that they aren't all the time), etc.

We had a pretty good thread on the previous forum about spotters. Any new thoughts on the subject?

#31131  by Jtgshu

Ugh - the bane of all trainmen - the spotter

A lot of times, they stick out like a sore thumb, so in those cases, you do what your crew did today, IR, exaggerated announcements, disgustingly happy, enforce all the rule with a big smile - the usual crap.

Thats why I like working nights, fewer spotters, even less bosses - more relaxed atmosphere

#31203  by thebigc

Jtgshu wrote:Thats why I like working nights, fewer spotters, even less bosses - more relaxed atmosphere
Yeah, that and a lack of seniority!! :wink:

Usually it's the loads and thieves who are proficient at spotting spotters. Like a survival mechanism.

#31217  by Jtgshu

Yea, you got that right, bigc, lack of senority, BUT I have worked during the day (there are a few jobs I could hold, of course not with weekends off or anything remotely close to good days off or good trains) and I HATE it.

Too many management types out trying to make a name for themselves adn making themselves look important.

#31226  by arrow

I don't know, I don't see anything wrong with being polite and enforcing the rules whether or not there is a spotter or "boss" on the train. I guess if everyone did their job like they should then NJT wouldn't need to do this.

#31577  by jdelgrosso

What is a spotter?

#31578  by nick11a

Spotters are folks who try to be inconspicuous and make sure the trainmen do their jobs right.

#31608  by Irish Chieftain

I am no fan of spotters; their very deployment is reminiscent of having a "secret police" in your midst. Spotters are quite active in NJT's bus division, where there is one person in control of the entire vehicle; but on a train, I do not see their use other than to verify whether or not trainmen or conductors are being unduly aggressive or harassing towards passengers. Complaints to the customer service department or to supervisors are what results in the deployment of spotters, IIRC.

#31648  by mb

Also trainmen who constantly are short with their money. If a trainmen get too many "Notices of A Debit", you better belive there will be spotters all over his/her a**.