Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#29263  by nick11a

Is Summit gonna have some work done? I noticed a week ago that the rocks on Track 2 were brushed a side from the track as if they are going to remove the tracks and replace them. Then yesterday during the middle of the day, 4302, 4301 and 4300 (in one set) brought a LOT of preasembled concrete ties and rails and had it in Summit yard. I'm presuming they'll be doing this work on a weekend if it does happen since all three tracks are really needed for Summit during the weekdays.

#29345  by Tri-State Tom

From your post my guess is that concrete ties will be installed within the station proper....

#29498  by Sirsonic

NJT has started working west from Millburn on track 1 with the TLM. This work will require a 50 hour outage every weekend from Millburn to Summit until the work is done on both tracks. Because of the single tracking, the schedules were revised to allow for the delay to the westbound trains at Millburn.

All of this is very nice yes, but it is worthless if NJT does not intend to raise the speed limit on the hill back to what it was before the speeds were changed for "consistency". They lowered the speed on track 2 by 10 mph and track 1 by 5 mph, for no good reason. (Its now 50)

#29668  by rbenko

As of Sunday night, June 27, concrete ties on track 1 extend from the western edge on the Millburn Station platform to the Short Hills Ave overpass just east of the Short Hills station. One of the workers told me their target for the day was the signals at MP17.9, just west of the Short Hills station. They didn't make it because the track laying machine kept breaking down - he didn't seem too pleased with it!! He also said they would be back in two weeks.

Sirsonic - when did they decrease the speed limit on this stretch? Do you think there's a chance they will raise it in the near future?

#29738  by nick11a

rbenko wrote:As of Sunday night, June 27, concrete ties on track 1 extend from the western edge on the Millburn Station platform to the Short Hills Ave overpass just east of the Short Hills station. One of the workers told me their target for the day was the signals at MP17.9, just west of the Short Hills station. They didn't make it because the track laying machine kept breaking down - he didn't seem too pleased with it!! He also said they would be back in two weeks.

Sirsonic - when did they decrease the speed limit on this stretch? Do you think there's a chance they will raise it in the near future?
They work quick! Wow. And thanks pdman! That's a great map. I didin't know there used to be a Mine Brook Station between Bernardsville and Far Hills. Pretty cools stuff there.

#29757  by pdman

Mine Brook was served by only two or three trains in the rush hour. During the day two or three autos were parked there (this is all late 1950s and early 60s). The "station" was a little structure about 10' by 16' with post supports and a peaked, shingled roof.

Train #433 was engineered by my friend Nick Amadeo (who lived just one block north of the main traffic light in Berkeley Heights). At the time, it was the longest train on the branch (6 cars). It stopped at BH at 6:30 pm, flagstop at Mine Brook at 6:52, arriving in Gladstone at 7:02. He would then back the cars into the yard there.

His return was on #430 leaving Gladstone at 8:05, arriving in Summit at 8:50. Then he'd do one more round trip for the evening.

#29763  by nick11a

pdman wrote:Mine Brook was served by only two or three trains in the rush hour. During the day two or three autos were parked there (this is all late 1950s and early 60s). The "station" was a little structure about 10' by 16' with post supports and a peaked, shingled roof.

Train #433 was engineered by my friend Nick Amadeo (who lived just one block north of the main traffic light in Berkeley Heights). At the time, it was the longest train on the branch (6 cars). It stopped at BH at 6:30 pm, flagstop at Mine Brook at 6:52, arriving in Gladstone at 7:02. He would then back the cars into the yard there.

His return was on #430 leaving Gladstone at 8:05, arriving in Summit at 8:50. Then he'd do one more round trip for the evening.
Fascinating. I wonder if there is any trace of the station today. I presume by the main traffic light you are referring to the Plainfield and Springfiled light (Spirngfield becomes Valley Road in your kneck of the woods.) Thanks as always!