Railroad Forums 

• Movin' Kinda Slow At The Junction

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#25024  by JLo

I think some towns in Bergen County threatened to sue NJT if it ran them up there. They complained that drivers would be distracted, it would create more traffic, it would clearly lead to more freight traffic and the world as we know it would end.

#25075  by nick11a

The shrink wrapped cars have been a personal obsession of mine. These cars were used to show the governor Secaucus. After that, they stayed in Hoboken yard for a long time. Then one day coming home from New Brunswick back in October, I caught a really cool train set for my Murray Hill Local train. It was a 44 with shrink wrapped cars 5321 and 5312 and it also had cab car Comet 4 cab bar 5018. As far as I know, 5321 and 5312 are the only shrink wrapped cars in existance. Both cars have the same wrap. On one side they have the 2003 Radio City and Newark Airport and on the other they have NJPAC and the Jersey Shore. Originally, they had it so that you would see all 4 advertisements on both sides of the train but now that they have gone beyond Hoboken and have been turned around numerous times. Here a some of my shrink wrapped photos:

Here is the Murray Hill local from October in Hoboken:

http://home.comcast.net/~njosullivan9/102403C.jpg

This is a cool one. Advertising the Jersey Shore when I'm at the Jersey Shore (Perth Amboy):
http://home.comcast.net/~njosullivan9/051004C.JPG

And here is my encounter them from back in October on the Murray Hill local. This photo is at Murray Hill:

http://home.comcast.net/~njosullivan9/102403D.jpg

#26236  by transit383

Here's a thought regarding the Secaucus fare structure. Why not charge intrastate passengers a fare equivalent to NWK/HOB and have interstate (NYP) bound passengers be charged a fare equivalent to NYP? I don't know first hand what kind of issues this may cause, so can someone shed some light on this (Jtgshu I'm looking in your direction :D )?

#26256  by Jtgshu

Because whats to stop someone from buying say a Rutherford to Newark Penn ticket and get on a train bound for NYP? They "accidently" board a train to NYP instead of Newark, and if they JUST HAPPEN (not likely on a lot of trains) to get met by a trainman on the short trip to NYP, they would have to pay 2.75. Or the other way around, with a person with a Metropark to Mahwah ticket who "forgot" to get off at SEC.....people would pick up on this in a second!!!!

That idea would work if they made say platfroms exclusively for NYP bound traffic and other platforms for westbound traffic. this way, they could make different magnetic strips for the different turnstyles (NYP bound or westward bound) but a train going in either direction can use any track, and that flexibility needs to be there.

#26307  by Mark Schweber

I was on my way into NYP on Saturday. We got to Secaucus about 1:15PM. I was very suprised by the large number of people on the platform waiting for the train. It looked like a subway station!

There were also a fair number of people who got off the train I was on (which was a M&E originating in Dover) though far fewer than got on. We were packed before Secaucus but really packed into NYP.