Railroad Forums 

• To NJT Conductors (lost cap)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#23939  by F23A4

Did any of you lose a cap in the Bergen Tunnels? I was in the vestibule on 3822 when we came to a stop (pressumably for a stop signal). In scanning the adjacent track, I saw a conductor's cap (badge and all) laying on the ballast. It looked to be in OK condition. (Then again, I'm viewing it through dirty, tinted windows from 10 yards away.)

Would you guys just leave it there until a "track worker"(?) recovers it OR just write it off? Just curious.

#23959  by Jtgshu

Its pretty much a write off.....Usually, you have a couple of spare hats, I have 4 "spares" right now, some used, and some brand new.

That trainman would have to order antoher badge, unless they have a spare one laying around. I have heard of cases where hats have been picked up and returned to the rightful owner (a lot easier if the badge is still on it) although sometimes a few weeks later.

Do you mean you came out of the North River tunnels and were more than likely sitting at a stop signal at Bergen interlocking. You can't see the other track in the other tunnel in the North River tunnels, but you can see the other track in the Bergen tunnels, which lead into Hoboken....

I would be heartbroken if I lost my hat - that wouldn't be cool. I hate wearing hats to begin with, and once its broken in, I don't wanna have to do it all over again!!! Ive come close a few times, especially walkign between cars, and one car hits a bump and drops down right at the instant my head is between the two cars, that knocks my hat off every time!!!

#24046  by TR-00

Was the conductor's head still in the hat?

Hats are frequently lost when conductors insert their heads in their rectums without first removing their hats. That's why we engineers usually wear soft hats (it doesn't hurt as much), and that's why supervisors never wear hats at all.

And all this time you probably thought that brown was the official trim color of the New York Yankees hat! :P

#24245  by nick11a

There was the guy who fell out of the train in the Bergen Tunnel last year. It could be his maybe? Or it also could be that since they don't close the doors a lot on the M/B P and sometimes on the M&E that it flew out of the train.

#24828  by thebigc

Hey TR zero, if you want to pick on Conductors, that's fine. I understand. It's what you Choo Choo U fugazy engineers do.

But dissing the YANKEES is just too much!!! :P

Enough said.

#25017  by TR-00

Yo C, I used to root for an American league team...the Philadelphia Athletics, and I attended many of their games at Shibe Park. But they moved to Kansas City, so I've be an NL fan since.

My favorite thing is sitting in the T&E room in NYP and listening to the groaning when the Yankees fall behind.

And never think that I don't love conductors. They keep me from having to go out in the rain to throw switches. :P

#25059  by TAMR213

Go Mets! Personally, I would be supprised if the Yanks official color was brown. Ha, I would revel in that kind of situation that you state happens in the T&E room.

#25061  by thebigc

TR-00 wrote:Yo C, I used to root for an American league team...the Philadelphia Athletics, and I attended many of their games at Shibe Park. But they moved to Kansas City, so I've be an NL fan since.
Were the Yanks still called the Highlanders back then? :wink:

#25073  by Mr Met

The hats should be BLUE and ORANGE