Railroad Forums 

• “Hey, the doors didn’t open and I missed my stop...”

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#23712  by DutchRailnut

ok on a four track main track 1 and 2 are middle tracks and 3 and 4 are the outside tracks, so to feel whoosh from track 3 the train better go sonic.
second I believe even on NJT equipment there is a sticker telling you not to ride in vestibules.

#23761  by Jtgshu

On the former PRR Amtrak territory, the tracks are numbered in order, and at Jersey Ave, (County interlocking) they go from 4 (westbound 251) 3, 2 (both 261) and 1 (eastbound 251). Jersey Ave trains pull off the main at county, and enter the Millstone branch, from a facing point switch off of four. Teh station and platforms are on the left side of teh train, so the doors facing number 3 track would be opened leaving New Brunswick, so when the train pulls onto the Millstone and into the station, the doors will be on the platform. If Im not mistaken the 135 territory starts right at County, but even if its still 110 there, thats a hell of a surprise if you are caught off guard!!!!

On the very few Jersey Ave trains ive worked, most people are pretty good and know to stay inside the cars until at least the trian is off the main!

#23839  by Olton Hall

DutchRailnut wrote:...second I believe even on NJT equipment there is a sticker telling you not to ride in vestibules.
That's one thing I liked about brand new English trains, the vesibules are carpeted, well lit, buttons to open the doors and easily indentifiable (when the train comes to a stop and only on the correct side) and they even have jump seats in them so a couple of people can sit instead of stand.

The old slam door trains have warnings about opening doors to make sure there is a platform at your door before opening it and taking a big first step.

#23904  by F23A4

DutchRailnut wrote:ok on a four track main track 1 and 2 are middle tracks and 3 and 4 are the outside tracks, so to feel whoosh from track 3 the train better go sonic.
See Jt's post.
DutchRailnut wrote:second I believe even on NJT equipment there is a sticker telling you not to ride in vestibules.
On 3725, NJT would have to make it a 14 car consist in order to avoid this. The vestibules are pretty much packed on the ride from Newark to Metropark. Though there are plenty of seats after Metuchen, we (vestibule riders) are just jockeying for position for the big rush out of the Jersey Ave parking lot; which is a mad dash.

#24246  by nick11a

Yeah Steve, I figured that some folks may be just used to operating with the doors open. Although I don't think I have encountered any yet (or at least I don't think I have.) I know if I were a conductor and practiced leaving the doors open, I would be a nervous wreck! But a lot of conductors seem to be cool with this and some are cool with the passengers getting off before the train comes to a complete stop or exiting on the wrong side of the train (if the doors on both sides of the train are open.)

#24825  by thebigc

I love it when people ride in my vestibules when I'm running with the doors open!! I usually try to position myself strategically so they catch the rock or bottle and not me!! You dodge one of these projectiles just once and you'll never ride in the vestibule again. Bottles, especially "40"s, go off like grenades. As we're told on the RR, be governed accordingly!!

#24841  by nick11a

thebigc wrote:I love it when people ride in my vestibules when I'm running with the doors open!! I usually try to position myself strategically so they catch the rock or bottle and not me!! You dodge one of these projectiles just once and you'll never ride in the vestibule again. Bottles, especially "40"s, go off like grenades. As we're told on the RR, be governed accordingly!!
I'm afraid to walk through the vestibules while the doors are open and the train is moving. Not necesarily because I might fall out (because I probably wouldn't- but I'm not too comfortable doing that anyway for saftey's sake) but mostly because I fear the wrath of the conductors and the ass. conductors (and I've encountered a few who if you catch them at the right time they'll roast you.)

#24850  by transit383

Even if the doors are closed on the Arrows, its always fun to walk between married pairs because there is no rubber tubing to enclose the walkway. I get a rush every time!

#24881  by AKelley728

transit383 wrote:Even if the doors are closed on the Arrows, its always fun to walk between married pairs because there is no rubber tubing to enclose the walkway. I get a rush every time!
Sometimes the window is open on the end door also on the Arrows. I've stuck my head out a few times! Whoosh! :P

#24894  by ryanov

F23A4 wrote:On 3725, NJT would have to make it a 14 car consist in order to avoid this. The vestibules are pretty much packed on the ride from Newark to Metropark. Though there are plenty of seats after Metuchen, we (vestibule riders) are just jockeying for position for the big rush out of the Jersey Ave parking lot; which is a mad dash.
And if I'm not mistaken, wasn't that the train that the passengers from 3963 ended up on last night when it was cancelled? Whee!

#24997  by F23A4

ryanov wrote:
F23A4 wrote:On 3725, NJT would have to make it a 14 car consist in order to avoid this. The vestibules are pretty much packed on the ride from Newark to Metropark. Though there are plenty of seats after Metuchen, we (vestibule riders) are just jockeying for position for the big rush out of the Jersey Ave parking lot; which is a mad dash.
And if I'm not mistaken, wasn't that the train that the passengers from 3963 ended up on last night when it was cancelled? Whee!
I dont know. Could this be why 3725 came into Nwk about 10 min late (surprisingly)? I imagine only Nw Brnswk/Jrsy Ave riders from 3963 would ride 3725 or else it would become a two train trip to PJ and beyond.

Bigc, I never heard of rocks/bottles ricocheting around the vestibules. How common is that?